The 1937 Hindenburg disaster and the demise of commercial airships

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

patrix wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 amA new episode (in Swedish) of Cui Bono is out. Me and Martin talks about the Hindenburg hoax.
Patrix, when you get a break from finetuning the orbits of Mercury and Venus, would you mind posting a summary of the arguments for why the Hindenburg disaster was a hoax?

The famous Pathé video has some really nice cuts @ 2:45, followed by the classic "Oh my God" screams...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

Flabbergasted wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:02 pm
patrix wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 amA new episode (in Swedish) of Cui Bono is out. Me and Martin talks about the Hindenburg hoax.
Patrix, when you get a break from finetuning the orbits of Mercury and Venus, would you mind posting a summary of the arguments for why the Hindenburg disaster was a hoax?
Dear Flabbergasted,
Well we talked about the plausibility of trans Atlantic airships taking cargo (there are photos where cars are loaded) and having a living compartment with a restaurant etc. etc.. Martin flies hot air balloons as a hobby and didn't think the lifting capacity of hydrogen would allow for it. An airship that size also has a very large surface area while being lighter than air so an Atlantic storm could bring it to the Arctic or Antarctica instead of new York. Lightning would also be a serious problem.

As for the photos and films they look very fake. The Hindenburg disaster was covered by several cameras at different angles. I find it hard to believe that in the 30s several cameras were mounted just to film the arrival of Hindenburg and happened to film the disaster. People are running through flames etc etc.

I watched a few documentaries from the period and they look very much like movies.

I think that if the sharp minds and eyes of Cluesforum took a good look at this, the story of trans Atlantic airships would become completely busted.

I have a hunch that the successful airship hoax gave birth to the idea of the space hoax. They figured out that if they put those airship models vertically with a impressive flame in the bottom they would look like impressive rockets rising majestically towards the stars.
Kham
Admin

Unread post by Kham »

Patrix,

Thank you for the summary on the Hindenburg Disaster. Interesting that you should compare airships to rockets.

I had a conversation a while back with the late Chris Kendall of Hoaxbusters fame about his trip to the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Chris was looking at a Saturn rocket laying on its side at an outdoor display. A docent walked up to Chris and asked if he had any questions about the rocket. Chris asked if this particular rocket had been to space.

The docent said no, that this rocket is just a steel model. Actual rockets have to be super light and are made of very thin aluminum. The body would collapse if real rockets were laid on their sides. In order to support the thin aluminum outer shell of real rockets, a large balloon is inflated inside them.

I have researched this on many occasions and have never been able to corroborate the use of balloons inside of rockets. Chris also tried finding anything relating this online. No luck. The idea seems plausible; these giant rockets are actually balloons (filled with helium?) so they can be light enough for the take off show. This might also explain why large rockets take off so slowly, instead of quickly like smaller military rockets.
I have a hunch that the successful airship hoax gave birth to the idea of the space hoax. They figured out that if they put those airship models vertically with a impressive flame in the bottom they would look like impressive rockets rising majestically towards the stars.
Patrix, good hunch.

Take care,

KHam