SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read

Unread postby DrTim on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm

nonhocapito wrote:Ok, I have stated my piece and have nothing to add. I think all of this is doing a disservice to the forum and it might even be happening on the wave of a big counter propaganda operation, with flat earth at its core. This doesn't imply that you, Simon, are willingly pushing in that direction, but I cannot help but thinking that somewhere someone is rather happy of your astronomical interests. I certainly don't know enough to judge, but I care enough to be bothered by all this. Not slamming the door or anything.

Feedback from a newbie member, if I may. I don't know any of you, don't know your track record, but I'm heartened that there are admins like nonhocapito on these forums. I could easily have said what he has said here, and would have used stronger wording. The Flat Earth viral BS isn't so different from Tycho Brahe not-so-viral BS.

However, I urge you guys to do absolutely nothing that might have even a whiff of censorship. That's the real danger here, not the time-wasting nature of old theories being resurrected. Simon has said he will not allow theories without some solid foundation. I would say just stick to the current moderation rules. The standards are already high. Require citations, and if someone goes into a lengthy exposition about their theory in an unrelated thread, move the post to the Derailing Room. You've been doing this already, I don't think you need anything more.

Let people promote their pet theories all they like, if they do so primarily in dedicated threads. I don't think such threads undermine the forum as nonhocapito fears. I suggest the real damage, if you're looking for it, is in the assumption of general agreement of those on the forum. Like the idea "we all agree space travel is impossible". Well, no. We're all different and come to different conclusions. So please, no censorship, just stick to your existing high standards.
DrTim
Banned

Unread postby simonshack on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 am

DrTim wrote: The Flat Earth viral BS isn't so different from Tycho Brahe not-so-viral BS.

Dr Tim,

Care to explain your above sentence?

I don't suppose you mean to say that Tycho Brahe was some sort of BS-artist, do you? If, on the other hand, what you refer to are my own efforts to verify / put to the test / and perhaps even 'ressurect' Brahe's long-sidelined celestial model, I will kindly ask you to keep that BS in your guts - until I present my case. Thanks for your patience.

While we are at it, let me make one thing - once again - perfectly clear for all forum readers: I have long abandoned my early, tentative speculations about our solar system, as of my early musings (and graphics) in my "SSSS" thread. Over the years, I have gradually - and I think, wisely - adopted a more studious, 'objective' approach of the astronomical subject matter and, after a long evaluation process of the many celestial models proposed over the centuries, I have found Tycho's model to be the most compelling. That's all. Only time will tell if this has been the right decision - but rest assured that no BS is involved in this patient endeavor of mine.

Now, Dr Tim - since we are in the forum's "Suggestion Box", I suggest that you think twice before typing the "BS" word - and associating it with things which deserve no such demeaning epithet.
simonshack
Administrator

Re: SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

Unread postby DrTim on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Simon, I appreciate you're tasked with sending out the message "We're here too, owning and controlling", but... I'm here to tell you your endevours will bring you no pride and only regret in due course. The money will be spent, and all you will have left is a memory of pathetic efforts to act as an autistic nutter who gets all emotional and hurt at the very hint of someone dissing his "favourite old scientist". Your fellow admin nonhocapito's post that I quoted should have given you a clue - you're doing a poor job. Too transparent and obvious. Can't you find a better job?

Anyhow, I hope my point has not got lost in this - no censorship, please. Thank you!
DrTim
Banned

Unread postby simonshack on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 pm

DrTim wrote:Simon, I appreciate you're tasked with sending out the message "We're here too, owning and controlling", but... I'm here to tell you your endevours will bring you no pride and only regret in due course. The money will be spent, and all you will have left is a memory of pathetic efforts to act as an autistic nutter who gets all emotional and hurt at the very hint of someone dissing his "favourite old scientist". Your fellow admin nonhocapito's post that I quoted should have given you a clue - you're doing a poor job. Too transparent and obvious. Can't you find a better job?

Anyhow, I hope my point has not got lost in this - no censorship, please. Thank you!

Hmm. "A better job", you say? So where's my paycheck, DrTim? Care to ask your boss to remember good 'ol Simon Shack - at the end of the month? Seriously though, you've got me curious now: what sort of sinister agenda would I have been entrusted with, DrTim? And no, I'm not going to censor your BS, sir - I'd rather leave it up as a reminder to everyone of what sort of clownish infiltrators this forum is, unfortunately, bound to attract from time to time...

Suggestions for admin action, anyone? <_<

Btw, here's an extract from DrTim's forum introduction:

DrTim wrote:"I'm glad to have found this place, like minded people and all that. Also heartened to note that your findings and even your language are similar to mine. You use the word "clown" to refer to the cretinous creeps, and clowns is exactly what they are. My closest friend hates me using this word, so I'm cheered up that I'm not alone. Funny how the smallest and most insignificant of things can matter."
viewtopic.php?p=2395690#p2395690

Funny, truly funny.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread postby fbenario on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:26 am

DrTim wrote:all you will have left is a memory of pathetic efforts to act as an autistic nutter who gets all emotional and hurt at the very hint of someone dissing his "favourite old scientist". Your fellow admin nonhocapito's post that I quoted should have given you a clue - you're doing a poor job. Too transparent and obvious. Can't you find a better job?

None of this is acceptable here. Simon doing a poor job? Autistic nutter my ass.
fbenario

Unread postby Flabbergasted on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 am

simonshack wrote:Funny, truly funny.

As I pointed out elsewhere, this "DrTim" has gone through spectacular metamorphoses in record time and has been surprisingly efficient at seeding discord. His approach and thinly veiled haughtiness suggests to me this may not be the first time he is trolling CF. When I said "yes, red flags" the other day, I wasn´t referring to the Peruvian desert.
Flabbergasted

Unread postby DrTim on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 am

Guys, you know as well as I do we're at the bottom of the rabbit hole here, there's no further to go. You start with the official story, move on to the conspiracy theory, the reality of the hoax is the last stop on the line. That being the case, I'll be damned if I'm going to bite my tongue and lie in this situation. No, if I suspect anything I'll come out and say it. Which is what I've done.

That said I'm going to retract my suspicion of Simon. I've done more research, and I think I understand the man better. To put it bluntly, he isn't as spectacularly intelligent as I thought. This was the issue, I couldn't reconcile the Superbrain Simon the Hoax Buster and the Not So Smart Simon the Brahe Fan. The gap between the two made me suspect the Brahe thing is a pose, a time-wasting exercise so typical of agents. Now, however, I don't see such a big difference between the two. Simon is a little more average than I thought, and is probably sincere in his cosmic beliefs.

Ultimately, I no longer care to be honest. I came here originally to report on the Swiss thingammy. Then, when I thought about what else interests me, I started the Nazca thread. Now, having established that Nazca is fully a hoax, with faked modern drawings, I'm all done. Nothing else I want to discuss really. The nature of the world is clear to me.

So if you want to terminate my account you're welcome. I wish you all the best in continuing exposure of the hoaxes.
DrTim
Banned

Unread postby simonshack on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 pm

DrTim wrote:
That said I'm going to retract my suspicion of Simon. I've done more research, and I think I understand the man better.

Why, Dr Tim - that's so kind of you - I feel so much better now ! :wub:
simonshack
Administrator

Unread postby simonshack on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Come to think of it, folks - I suggest that we keep those DrTim-types on board, be it only to highlight the abysmal ignorance of the trolls attempting to undermine our work and credibility. See, in his argument that "Simon isn't so smart after all", DrTim points to my support of Tycho Brahe's celestial model as some sort of tell-tale sign of my underlying stupidity. Well, I must say that I feel mighty honored to be accused of having such a "stupid" side! :lol:

"He [Tycho Brahe] was one of the first great systematic empirical scientists and one of the earliest founders of the modern scientific method. His forty years of planetary observations — an unparalleled treasure of empirical data — contained the key to Kepler's historic breakthrough."
http://www.amazon.com/Heavenly-Intrigue ... 0385508441
simonshack
Administrator

Unread postby Critical Mass on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Huh I must've missed that 'Fox Flop' video... only just watched it today. Great job Simon*!

A few of the links in the 'September Clues Video guide' are dead (mostly concerning vicsims)... here are some alternative links.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVhGS9r7uo

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxRGiZFtPVw

* I also enjoyed some of the comments...

"Please, show me how my father's cousin did not die."

... from some ghost account being particularly memorable.
Critical Mass

Unread postby hoi.polloi on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 am

Thanks for the tip, Critical Mass! Looks like Simon got to it.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Unread postby ShaneG on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:05 pm

I noticed that www.cluesforum.com is available on godaddy.

It's surprising that nobody ever thought of buying it. I guess it doesn't matter too much, since this site is an information portal rather than a commercial money-making site.
ShaneG

Unread postby hoi.polloi on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:32 pm

That used to be the solution in the early 2000's, but these days people strain to find specific domains and have learned to become more detail-oriented. It's not uncommon to find popular sites with really obscure domain endings. Paying an additional $10 to $12 per year to catch up to an old marketing solution might hit our already strained budget for no reason. Thanks for watching out for it, though.

Let us know when cnn.com is available, though. :lol:
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Unread postby hoi.polloi on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Simon,

This part:

As it happens, DAVE VON KLEIST also peddles this same false claim. Watch from 1:15 - ( to about 3:00 ) :

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRanwmDu124

... of this post: viewtopic.php?p=2374706#p2374706

... has a broken video (911-Tom Clancy Clip Show ...) associated with it. Was it a DAVE VON KLEIST video? It says the entire YouTube account associated was terminated due to "multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement."
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Unread postby Seneca on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:40 am

I think a better search tool would make old posts more accessible. I find it impossible to find a combination of words in a specific order even with the advanced search tool. For example: "apollo 1 disaster" gives the same results as without "". My solution for now is to go to google and put: "apollo 1 disaster" site:http://www.cluesforum.info but I don't like to depend on google.
Seneca

PreviousNext

Return to HOW TO REGISTER at CLUESFORUM - and other tips