Workshop for Admins

Discussions related to both taboo and peculiar areas of research.
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: Workshop for Admins

Unread post by SacredCowSlayer »

I deactivated a test account I previously set up- “testing2004” - which may be found in the “newly registered users” group, if any of you wish to “test user permissions” to see what I’m talking about.

It occurred to me after using Videre as an example that she was on a Clues Chronicle episode with us before.

Obviously I wasn’t trying to terminate her account. That was just an example I picked.

The VAST majority of the purging from that group was “members” who had never signed in, let alone posted.

And I didn’t delete accounts where posts had been made.

There are some that I moved to the “Inactive members” group however.

Sorry for any confusion created on my part.

Those 5,000+ just sitting there were like a “time bomb” though.

I will go ahead and create the username and PW for the person who sent a request (recently) this morning. Hopefully he or she will be awesome.

We are due for one right?
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

simonshack » January 17th, 2019, 8:58 am wrote:Dear SCS,

Videre came to visit me in Rome a few years ago - she's a good friend of Kham - so I just reactivated her account.

I understand that you wish to avoid any more surprises (such as Observer returning in spite of me deactivating his account) - but I'm not sure if we really need to pre-emptively block other accounts just because such members have never posted on the forum. Then again, I might be missing the gist of your concerns... :)
Simon,

I didn’t see this post before my previous one (edit: yep- 2 minutes apart. I was typing- that explains why I didn’t see your post first). Agreed. We are on the same page.

Yes, my concerns were primarily about making sure that those in the “newly registered users” group were ones that we have specifically placed there so they may view and post on the “Introduce Yourself to the Administrators” topic.

That’s why I created the “Inactive Users” Group.

But, for the bots (and others) that “signed up,” but never signed-in, and never posted before- I didn’t think anyone would miss them.

I’m really close to having the “newly registered users” group such that we can click on it and see who is in the vetting process. That way it’s actually useable. “Managing” 5,000+ wasn’t realistic.

Hope that makes enough sense.

Looking forward to talking tomorrow. Dani may join us for part of that. She wants to chat briefly. I didn’t think you’d mind.

She has been reading through TYCHOS. :)

Talk soon my friend.
michiganj

Unread post by michiganj »

SacredCowSlayer » January 17th, 2019, 8:00 am wrote:I will go ahead and create the username and PW for the person who sent a request (recently) this morning. Hopefully he or she will be awesome.

Yes we are!

Dear SCS, I tested the permissions for "tommyga" (who not surprisingly was online at the time) and I saw no buttons for Reply, Edit or Quote to a thread. Is this the result of setting their user group to Guest?
I'm not sure I understand what the three methods are for deactivating a member that you're referring to?

Thanks, mj

By the way - I did find a Tom Ratliff over at Apple Discussions https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1066909
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

michiganj » January 17th, 2019, 9:55 am wrote:
SacredCowSlayer » January 17th, 2019, 8:00 am wrote:I will go ahead and create the username and PW for the person who sent a request (recently) this morning. Hopefully he or she will be awesome.

Yes we are!

Dear SCS, I tested the permissions for "tommyga" (who not surprisingly was online at the time) and I saw no buttons for Reply, Edit or Quote to a thread. Is this the result of setting their user group to Guest?
I'm not sure I understand what the three methods are for deactivating a member that you're referring to?

Thanks, mj
When I set him as a “guest,” that automatically made his permissions that of a guest. So, that’s why he can’t post. The key is to ALSO remove from the other group as well, since a member can be in more than one group.

I’ve taken care of the problem of having our registered members also in the “newly registered users” group. Did that a while back.

Try out permissions of Testing2004 to see an example of what I was referring to.

And- the three “methods” for banning are:

By username
By email address
By IP

Thanks for asking.

:)
michiganj

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I checked out "Testing2004" and got the same results (no buttons available). Also, "Testing2004" does not appear in the Members list as well.

When you first deactivated "Observers" account and then tested permissions were you able to post a reply?
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

michiganj » January 17th, 2019, 10:16 am wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I checked out "Testing2004" and got the same results (no buttons available). Also, "Testing2004" does not appear in the Members list as well.

When you first deactivated "Observers" account and then tested permissions were you able to post a reply?
I didn’t deactivate Observer. Simon beat me to it after O had the nerve to edit Simon’s edit.
Later I did follow up by banning him via username, email, and IP.

That said, here are some (hopefully) helpful screenshots for you.
First, Testing2004 is presently in the “newly registered users” group.

Next,

Then, I hit the “Test out user’s permissions,” and this is what showed.

Then, this is what it showed. [Note: you can’t actually post as them like that. You can however (in rare circumstances) change the poster of a given post. I’ve only done that once. And I made a notation on the post about it.]

So, at a bare minimum, a “deactivated” member that remains in the “newly registered users” group, AND hasn’t been actively Banned, can see the vetting process, if not able to post there.
michiganj

Thank you for the explanation SCS. Now it makes sense. :)
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

michiganj » January 17th, 2019, 3:23 pm wrote:Thank you for the explanation SCS. Now it makes sense. :)
No problem. Sorry if I over complicated it.

I just thought it was worth pointing out for the Admins. :)
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Once more, thanks for your priceless assistance in keeping this forum free from trouble, dear SCS ! :)
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

simonshack » January 17th, 2019, 6:34 pm wrote:Once more, thanks for your priceless assistance in keeping this forum free from trouble, dear SCS ! :)
You are very welcome my friend.

Also, I’m glad to report that I finally have the “newly registered users” down to a grand total of 8.

Most of the old and never used accounts (primarily bot sign-ups) are basically (with a few exceptions) deleted.

Part of the challenge was that the previous criteria for a member to be in that group was based on whether he/she had a post count of less than 10. So, there were a number of accounts with somewhere between 1 and 9.

I manually checked to see if they had been banned. A number of them had been, but they remained in that group. So, I changed their group to “Banned,” and removed them from the other group.

The other ones were either placed in “registered users” or in the “Inactive Members” group, depending on the date of the last post and/or sign- in. I don’t have an exact amount of time in mind when deciding that. It’s a judgment call in the moment.

Lastly, I did create a very limited “mini- forum” for the “Inactive Members” to post in- that way we know what to change their group to. My thought is that if it’s some member who posted once in 2012, then perhaps we put them in the “newly registered users” group to make sure it’s all good.

On the other hand, a member with a proven track- record may be placed right back in the “registered users” group. Also a judgment call. My biggest suggestion here is that we consider using that as an opportunity to get their current email address (our member ICfreely as an anomaly in that regard I suppose).

Thank you all for your support, and do please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for me as we strive to improve on (AND MAINTAIN) the amazing content of this fine forum. :)

Warm Regards,
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

I changed the settings such that posts here wouldn’t clutter up the active topics list.
Just FYI .

Hope you are all doing great. Excited about our new member too.

Sincerely,
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Dear Fellow Admins,

I altered the board settings to remove the “quick post” option. If my memory is correct- I’m the one that added that feature a while back.

Anyway, I haven’t found it useful. That said, if any of you feel strongly about it, I have no problem with turning it back on.

Just wanted to let you know - in case you were wondering. :)

Sincerely,
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Fellow Admins,

Michiganj and I (with some occasional consulting advice from Hoi) have been coordinating to make sure we get the upgrade to the forum done right—while the php v. 5.6 is still supported.

I found out this morning that we have until November 18 (next Monday) to get it done. It’s too long to explain—but basically, I did it wrong last time.

So, you may want to perform a backup of the forum before we do the upgrade. The plan is to do this Thursday afternoon (November 14, 2019) around 4:30 PM (Central Standard Time). The forum will be down briefly while it’s conducted.

And I will let you all know via email if we run into anything unexpected.

Wish us luck my dear friends. :)

Note: This post was edited (by SCS) on November 12 due to rescheduling.
Dani
Administrator

Unread post by Dani »

In regards to poor Grumsi . . . .
Re: The CORONAVIRUS circus
Edit Delete Report Warn Information Quote
Post by Grumsi » March 18th, 2020, 6:45 am

I can see that not everyone here knows that this is a 100% hoax again and noone died of a deadly virus. I have nothing to say to you.

But I have a question for those who know that... Usually the best way to prove a hoax is to take advantage out of it. So, now that 99.9% of people are being almost prisoned in their homes, how can we take advantage out of this hoax? Is there any way, we can gain something out of this?

Noone died, lets move on...

[Admin Notice (SCS): First, “noone” is not a word. And following up that sentence with “I have nothing to say to you” is just strange. As for “taking advantage out of [or gaining something from] this”? No, that is absolutely not what this forum is for. Also, drop the whole “Noone [sic] died, lets move on” signature/tagline.]
The very notion that anyone would, “take advantage,” of this Corona virus hoax is . . . disturbing to say the least. It never once crossed my mind to, “gain something from this.”
Re: THE DERAILING ROOM
Edit Delete Report Warn Information Quote
Post by Grumsi » March 18th, 2020, 11:28 am

"Apperently" is a proper word because I can not trust one comment and I can not learn Italian in few minutes just to check if it is true or not, that is why I asked if someone can confirm it. What is this all about, it is like I was being let in an oasis of some sort, but in actuality you are here haunting people like we are some sort of germ to you. Accept that people are different and not everyone is here to follow your childish rules. I was reading this forum for years, and if you can't chew my opinions feel free to ban me.
You are the opposite of what you supposed to be, you administrators should be a guidence to a new awakened world, but all you are is just a dictartosip at best. English is not my first language, but I am doing my best to use proper grammar, so everyone can understand me. And fuck you to tell me what should my signature be like, I will use what I want and whenever I want. I am here to gain and give informations from/to other people, and not here to discuss my way of communicating with you dictators. Get your sorry ass out of my sight and let me be. If you can't chew me, ban me then. My god, you people should be ashamed of yourself.

Noone died, lets move on...

[Admin Notice (SCS): Grumsi—permanently banned on March 18, 2020.]
So let me get this straight . . . a newly registered member makes a post about how we should, “take advantage,” of this Corona situation and use it to, “gain something out of it,” then it personally attacks SCS and the other members of Cluesforum.

I think it’s safe to say you made the right call SCS.
Dani
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Yes, dear Dani - I fully agree with SCS's call, good riddance I'd say... The grumpy Grumsi can go drop his turds elsewhere.

As we've seen over the years, foul-mouthed & aggressive entities registering at this forum have always turned out to be (at best) a waste of time for everyone.

Whether they are government-employed trolls or just the grumpy sort of folks doesn't really matter. We simply do not need them.