Locust Infestation, Herald, CA June 2012

This is the forum dedicated to all 'minor' local psyops - phony murders, kidnappings and whatnot. It has now become evident that the news media constantly feeds the public with entirely fake stories - in order to keep us in eternal fear of our next-door neighbours and fellow citizens.
Libero

Locust Infestation, Herald, CA June 2012

Unread post by Libero »

This was a corny one that made the evening news in California a few months back. It seemed especially aimed at the 'signs of the EOTW' crowd with descriptions and associations such as 'plague of locusts' and 'biblical proportions.' Two months later I am happy to report that there have amazingly been no other reports of locusts making it out of this tiny little town of 1000 to anywhere else within the state --surely a testament to the efficacy of the African pesticide that she ordered that unfortunately rendered her farm non-organic :)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8700593
fbenario

Re: Locust Infestation, Herald, CA June 2012

Unread post by fbenario »

Libero wrote:This was a corny one that made the evening news in California a few months back. It seemed especially aimed at the 'signs of the EOTW' crowd with descriptions and associations such as 'plague of locusts' and 'biblical proportions.' Two months later I am happy to report that there have amazingly been no other reports of locusts making it out of this tiny little town of 1000 to anywhere else within the state --surely a testament to the efficacy of the African pesticide that she ordered that unfortunately rendered her farm non-organic :)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8700593
"Herald"? Nice name for the location of a biblical plague.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

Nice catch, fbenario. I totally missed that association.
CTGal1011

Unread post by CTGal1011 »

Strange thing...although I have never seen a locust infestation, I was at a concert in 2006 (http://www.purerave.com/events/13415) - on July 31st, and it rained quite heavily. It was quite humid and when it stopped raining, all of us party goers were attacked by some disgusting june bugs for a good 15 minutes. They seemed to come out of nowhere!
I had to laugh at the predicament, but it was quite disgusting to pull those suckers out of your hair.
Libero

Unread post by Libero »

CTGal,

Yuck! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience -- that must have been freaky.

It's refreshing to hear an honest real-life assessment of a bad 'bug' situation as opposed to the contrived one in this story, though. That is what first tipped me off that this locust story may have no merit when I heard it -- the lady's reaction to the situation. Did you notice how you used 'they' and 'those' when describing your situation, but she could seemingly only come up with the word 'it's', seemingly playing into the 'plague' theme? Giving her the benefit of the doubt, she could have been describing the actual situation as the 'it's', until her last usage where it made absolutely no sense. I also found it hard to believe that she could ever initially find the situation 'funny' or 'entertaining', this being her farm and I am assuming her livelihood as well. Maybe I am just being too nit-picky with words, but that is why I gave the story a few months to brew to see if this so-called huge swarm of locusts would manage to get out of her tiny little town.

Campbell's quote:

"It's not funny anymore. It's not entertaining anymore. It's not pleasurable. It's eating everything that I own, and I'm not happy," said Campbell.
CTGal1011

Unread post by CTGal1011 »

I hadn't even noticed I used those words. I don't eknow why she would say "it's", as in there is only one?

And why can't they just call 'em "itty bitty grasshoppers" instead of locusts? People think of grasshoppers as cutesy. Locusts BAD. Grasshoppers good.

Locusts get such a bad rap.

You know, having a localized infestation is a sure way to take advantage of farm insurance for under performance of a crop.

The only other localized insect infestation I have ever been privy to (and most likely any other members here from southern Ontario and/or Michigan) are those damn FISH FLIES in the summer. There is always a day or two, if the conditions are perfect, that they come in and you have to stay inside for fear of breathing them in. Sticky sticky, disgusting. Gross and crunchy under my shoes. And the only thing that takes them off my windshield is cola.