Fakery in Orbit: THE I$$

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
brianv

Re: Fakery in Orbit: THE ISS

Unread post by brianv »

Flabbergasted wrote:Maybe they wanted to give them a homey feeling to help us "relate to them".

As in "feel sorry for them"?
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

brianv wrote:Yes one might expect to see more high-brow looking individuals rather than a bunch of escapees from the St John of God Center for our less fortunate brothers and sisters.
Oh well, Brian - you've gotta give it to NASA : it is undeniably a wide-open, liberal and indiscriminative workplace !

( All testimonial faces used for the making of this ad were extracted from the NASA STAFF group pictures published here and here )

It feels good that such an eclectic & international bunch of folks are ensuring the continuing success-story of our outer space conquests. <_<
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

Source: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/ima ... 046603.jpg
All photos seem to be taken 5 21 2011 - here is one with the Pope popping in at the space center; :P
fast67vellen2o

Unread post by fast67vellen2o »

Wow, every computer screen image looks photoshopped as well as the signs the "employees" are holding and the screen images in the background. I caught the flip flops too. I would think that Nasa employees would be held to a higher standard.
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Might I point out this composite employee in the midst of that large photo!
lux

Unread post by lux »

"All right, who took my stapler?!?!?"
agraposo

Unread post by agraposo »

simonshack wrote: Dear Agraposo,

You may wish to check out my 2011 analysis of the NASA staff imagery:
WARNING: graphic content - and fairly disturbing stuff! :P
http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p2354502
:D Yes, I remember your analysis. In fact I missed "Granma" when I found this photo. Oh, wait, finally I found her!

STS-134 Gallery May 25, 2011 (to the left)

STS-135 Gallery July 14, 2011 (to the right)

And some of her colleagues (first row)
STS-135 Gallery July 13, 2011

Comparison
Last edited by agraposo on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
agraposo

But I don't want to be so disrespectful with "Granma" (NASA astronaut Shannon Lucid), so I searched more images.
http://www.spacefacts.de/more/astronaut ... hannon.htm

ImageImage
ImageImage

Please, another pose! :D
lux

Unread post by lux »

I'd sure like to know what lighting setup the photographer used in those (probably faked) group photos above. It's extremely difficult to light a group like that with virtually no shadows. Unless they are all vampires, of course.

It looks to me like the photographer simply shot an empty room and then pasted in the people one by one.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

How strange: they use the exact same picture and then go to the trouble of making an almost imperceptible change in the hairline. Or does the software used to make these images automatically introduce all sorts of small random changes?

brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Flabbergasted wrote:How strange: they use the exact same picture and then go to the trouble of making an almost imperceptible change in the hairline. Or does the software used to make these images automatically introduce all sorts of small random changes?

It's possilbe that a small artifact has crept in from stretching and skewing the image, but it also could be a deliberate manual alteration to make it look slightly different than it's parent image.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

I was just wondering: if the graphics perpware had some "freedom" to introduce small random changes for the sake of "reality", that might explain some of the curious little goofs we see in fake photographs and often attribute to incompetent photoshoppers. Like the change in the color of Breivik´s tie.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Great work, Agraposo - and all!

As it is, I have been taking another look at these fascinating NASA STAFF group "photos" today. Since the first day I saw them, they looked to me an awful lot as photoshopped composites - with simple cut-and-paste and repositioning of the various characters. But how to prove it?

Well, as always, the lighting of these images will help us determine a few things. Let's compare the shadowing of 2 of these group "photos". To be sure, the most striking fact of these NASA STAFF pictures is that the various rows of people don't seem to cast the slightest speck of shadow on the people behind them. This is quite an extraordinary 'strike of luck', as any wedding photographer will tell you. But wait, in the below image, we see some crisp shadows being cast by the LAST row of people:

Yet, in this other NASA STAFF group "photo", this back row of people casts NO shadows at all !

This alone goes to show that these images can hardly be authentic. But there's more. Anyone familiar with cutting-and-pasting in Photoshop will know that at times, if you're not careful, a bad silhouette cut will give away the whole trickery. Well, here is one such fail:

I then compared two other "NASA STAFF group photos" - obviously MEANT to have been shot on two slightly different timelines of the same photo session. Well, I am awestruck by the apparent discipline of most of these NASA employees - keeping an almost identical pose, expression and position - between the two photo shoots which, evidently, required everyone to stay put during the timelapse required for inviting and placing / removing different people into the crowd ! I really hope this comparison make you all laugh a big, hearty laugh!

You are welcome to believe that these are quite legit/authentic photographs. And I am welcome to believe that they are complete frauds ! :lol:
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Flabbergasted wrote:I was just wondering: if the graphics perpware had some "freedom" to introduce small random changes for the sake of "reality", that might explain some of the curious little goofs we see in fake photographs and often attribute to incompetent photoshoppers. Like the change in the color of Breivik´s tie.
I will not preclude that possibility, maybe some custom plugins for Photoshop have been developed for use in the fakery factory.

^ Another for Simon

agraposo

Flabbergasted wrote:How strange: they use the exact same picture and then go to the trouble of making an almost imperceptible change in the hairline. Or does the software used to make these images automatically introduce all sorts of small random changes?
Small random changes? Comparing again:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/ima ... 048501.jpg
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/ima ... 063635.jpg

:o