The "insurgency" in Syria, 2011- 2013

Anything on the news and elsewhere in the media with evidence of digital manipulation, bogus story-lines and propaganda
nonhocapito

Re: The "insurgency" in Syria, 2011- 2012

Unread post by nonhocapito »

More crap in the news from the Syrian front.

This video is being shown on all media outlets, as comment to an alleged bombing in Homs that caused 15 dead:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwdNgWAz3s

Of course you will notice the usual, absurd "pasty" look of the pictures, that appear to have been overly compressed for no reason at all.

Aside of the technical aspect, the video appears to be yet another staged representation of what this kind of violence is expected to be, or is projected to be, in the minds of the masses hijacked by Hollywood and TV.

Cartoon People running around...

...a vehicle on fire being put out with a garden hose, by a person with a "fireman-like" jacket (two are the cases, either this is a fireman, and should not be using a garden hose, or this is a civilian, and you gotta wonder why he's wearing that stupid jacket)...

...and of course what appears to be remains of a body, with no head, hands or blood. So maybe it is not a body but a jacket, that have been laid down on the pavement in the pose of a victim. :P

pshea38
Banned

Unread post by pshea38 »

Our friend in green already has one foot in the grave, it seems.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

...and true to form, here's yet again the ubiquitous "blue-'n-white-striped jumper guy"... <_<

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p2366588

nonhocapito

'Innocence' survives 11 hours under bomb rubble in Syria
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/19/world ... index.html
"How many (people) were in the basement with you?"

"30."

Children?

"About 14," Baraa said. "The oldest was 11."

"Did you have any siblings among them?"

"Yes, three siblings: one 11 years old, the second was 9, and the third was 2½ years old."
Sigh. These numeric fixations will never end. But at least they help us identify fakery like a big beacon. And at this point i tend to believe that's what they're for.
totalrecall

Unread post by totalrecall »

warriorhun wrote:Dan Clark: How not to live your life
Episode one: How not to use your RPG while doing insurgency in Syria

See, anybody who have ever gone through basic military training was taught that the one thing you definitely should NEVER do is standing behind someone who is getting ready to cabby off an RPG round.
The reason for it is because the RPG has a fucking big back-blast which is very un-healthy.
If the guy on the picture managed to shoot his RPG at the tank first, the guy standing behind his back would have been a casualty of the back-blast.
Either these insurgents are really this fucking stupid and un-trained, in which case President Assad can sleep smugly in his bed at night without a care in the world, or they use actors on these short films who lack basic knowledge of how military action is supposed to happen in real life.
Take your pick.
Speaking of fake insurgent picks. When they were covering the Libyan thing a while back, they kept showing the most ridiculous so-called military "fighting" to ever be witnessed that even myself, pre-cluesforum, recognized that they were just staging for the cameras.

They said that there was a sniper in the building opposite and our courageous insurgents were casually laughing and strolling around the corner and one of them walked out to the middle of the street and fired an rpg at something we couldn't see. Ho ho ho. Anyone who has played paintball with over 100 people at a time knows that when you stick just your hand over a wall (which is part of a choke point) in about 1 to 2 seconds 10 pellets will fly where your hand just was. The same thing happened in world war 1 in the trenches (at least from the books I have read). And here is a guy facing a sniper strolling casually around a corner and fires off his rpg. His head would have been blown off the moment he poked it around the corner.

Actually I stand corrected. it wasn't even an rpg now I think of it. It was a light machine gun held at the hip and fired Rambo style. Even better! hahaha :lol:
warriorhun

Unread post by warriorhun »

Dear All,

Its 2013 and Syria still going strong.

What they do now, is putting car-cameras on tanks, and uploading the results. I suppose its the govt. troops, not the insurgents.

Like this one:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2-H9Ex8us

Looks Call of Duty to me, though...
simonshack
Administrator

warriorhun wrote: Looks Call of Duty to me, though...
Could well be, Warriorhun, could well be...

nonhocapito

On the other hand, if it's not fake... what the hell is happening in Syria? That's a whole city completely destroyed.

But truth is, this video makes no sense. Of course it cannot come from anyone but the government. But would the syrian government have any interest in showing how battered and troubled is the country? The video has been uploaded by russians, who we are told are protecting Assad but have no direct part in the conflict. Is this a way to imply that russian militia is involved in combat? We are not told. As it is, the video really seems aimed at entertaining the west more than anything else, which makes it a good candidate for fakery.

Or maybe the filming is real, only this is not syria but some military training ground somewhere. Who knows...

(In fact Warriorhun, where did you read this was Syria? I cannot find this information anywhere on that youtube page.)
warriorhun

Re: The "insurgency" in Syria, 2011- 2013

Unread post by warriorhun »

Dear nonhocapito,

my source was a Hungarian site, the video was embedded in the following article:

http://kulugyer.blog.hu/2013/03/09/polg ... opontjabol
Polgárháború a tankok nézőpontjából
Dashcam a tankokon Szíriában.
In English: "Civil war from the view of tanks. Dashcam on tanks in Syria"

In my view, the filming and uploading could be just tomfoolery of the Syrian tankists. However...

In my opinion, one thing is strange. Namely the lack of people. Not only the citizens: of course they would hide. But of support troops. The Syrians have Russian advisors, and if one thing the Russians learned from the 1st Chechen war is that you do not send in armor into urban canyons without supporting troops. And on this video, it seems a lonely tank is roaming the streets alone. I would put two 3-man units with RPGs on top of buildings on the tank's path, and hit it on top, adios.
Also I do not see the damage on the buildings in front after the tank was cabbying off. And also it appears as if all windows were broken in in this city...

There are similar videos:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sb2xo7yF40

My observation: strange, although insurgent tactics with the taking out of the tank is OK - just like I wrote up there 2 minutes ago - that's why you do not send tanks into urban canyons without support troops. Where are the support troops? The need for them should've downed on the Syrian officers after their first tank was taken out in any city long ago, back in 2011! And on the video: one tank gets blown to pieces, the other two standing next to it seems pretty relaxed, loitering as sitting ducks after the hit instead of fucking off ASAP! Probably them tanks are covered with some special insurance policy or something... Why are those tanks stationery in the first place? Do they use them as stationary fire platforms, why? And why did they stop the motors on the tanks? It takes time to fire up the engines of those beasts. Did they not hear of the 20 minutes rule - if you are stationary for 20 minutes, the insurgents have time to go there and set up an ambush! Seems like Syrian tank officers still know fuck all of urban warfare, after going for it for more than a year?

Some other dashcam business:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBuRcFu0X4E

Observation: why does the Syrian government send in armor, and only armor, into urban combat? I see no supporting troops on any of these videos. This does not make sense militarily!
mayor

Unread post by mayor »

warriorhun wrote:Dear All,

Its 2013 and Syria still going strong.

What they do now, is putting car-cameras on tanks, and uploading the results. I suppose its the govt. troops, not the insurgents.

Like this one:

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2-H9Ex8us

Looks Call of Duty to me, though...
In today's news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... flict.html

When a game (Raze the Syrian Baddies™) really is a game.

*edit*

Danish news channel TV2 presents footage of picturesque Turkey (from the 16th century, that is) in place of modern-day (supposedly bloody) Syria for its viewing audience last February. Social media quickly realized the image was a bit too pristine, revealing that the image was ripped from a popular video game series, Assassin's Creed, and took the network to task. Apparently, this network has a history of this kind of foolishness with several other cases cited in the article.

It beggars belief just how much these entities think they can slip past the public. Right enough, they've gotten away with it thus far, but I have this burning hope that people are becoming more shrewd by stages. It's screw-ups like this that should work to turn public opinion from the shadows--but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

As a whole, well, what does it mean? What with the line between realism and reality being slowly eroded, one can argue, through movies and video games, it becomes ever apparent that there is a strong push to condition the public as rapidly as can be done by slipping in fabricated images or video whenever possible and therefore make the slimy tripe of your 9/11s and Apollos easier to digest.
He said the incident is a 'reminder to us all of the importance of verifying the sources of pictures.'
He added that the station has since implemented a new system so that correct images can be more easily found.
Well, so much for reporting on the happenings in Syria then! :lol:
Last edited by mayor on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Just another reminder to people who just post links, would you mind please explaining/summarizing a bit more for readers, to spare them from having to click on so many outbound links? For example, the title of the article seems to imply the story, but would it be too much trouble to actually explain the reasoning behind the title, to be more specific for our readers, and thus explain the links?

Thank you!
allegoricalfact
Banned

Unread post by allegoricalfact »

This is just hearsay but after reading one of your posters saying the same sort of thing about the beginning of the Libyan troubles I shall tell you what I know, though it be secondhand.

A young friend of the family, who read Arabic and whom I have known almost all of her life was working and living in Damascus when the whole thing kicked off.

She said the Military were absolutely not involved. That there were peaceful protests with only a few scuffles between protesters and the Police. Suddenly, no one knew who they were or where they came from, a mob of strangers began throwing stones at the Police, who did not retaliate, and then these same men began firing shots, first in the air and then at buildings, simply at buildings, and again there was no retaliation.

That is all I know, she has now left, of course. If I hear any more I'll let you know.

As a btw I don't have a TV but do watch 'catch up' when there is something I want to watch. There was recently a documentary on BBC on The History of Syria. I was curious as to how they would report it. The reporter was simply walking around parts of Damascus where life was going on as normal as well as visiting other parts of Syria. Ok it might not have been Damascus or even Syria, it seemed that it was though I am not an expert ;-) but that this is how they have portrayed Syria, as 'life goes on', I found interesting. Because it does, life does go on as best it can under any circumstance.
simonshack
Administrator

allegoricalfact wrote:There was recently a documentary on BBC on The History of Syria. I was curious as to how they would report it. The reporter was simply walking around parts of Damascus where life was going on as normal as well as visiting other parts of Syria. Ok it might not have been Damascus or even Syria, it seemed that it was though I am not an expert ;-) but that this is how they have portrayed Syria, as 'life goes on', I found interesting. Because it does, life does go on as best it can under any circumstance.
I guess you are referring to this 'poor' BBC lady...

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3Ss4GARPA
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

simonshack wrote:
allegoricalfact wrote:There was recently a documentary on BBC on The History of Syria. I was curious as to how they would report it. The reporter was simply walking around parts of Damascus where life was going on as normal as well as visiting other parts of Syria. Ok it might not have been Damascus or even Syria, it seemed that it was though I am not an expert ;-) but that this is how they have portrayed Syria, as 'life goes on', I found interesting. Because it does, life does go on as best it can under any circumstance.
I guess you are referring to this 'poor' BBC lady...

"But there are pictures". Kudos to the "ordinary" Syrians for calling them out on their bullshit.