Does Rocketry Work beyond Earth's atmosphere?

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
Heiwa
Banned

Re: Why Rocketry Doesn't Work in the Vacuum

Unread post by Heiwa »

Boethius wrote: Heiwa, are you saying we can burn fuel in the vacuum of space without the benefit of an atmosphere or gravitational field like we have on the earth or the sun? Even if we bring along our own liquid oxygen I don't see how we can burn anything in the vacuum of space except inside of a closed container. Having an open nozzle would violate the integrity of our closed container.
Yes, you can burn stuff in vacuum without the benefit of an atmosphere or gravitational field. The stuff must only be combustible. And if you burn this combustible stuff in vacuum inside a container in vacuum and, if the container is open at one end, the gases due to the combustion will escape there and produce a FORCE ... that will affect the container. BASIC. KISS. :P
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Heiwa wrote:
Boethius wrote: Heiwa, are you saying we can burn fuel in the vacuum of space without the benefit of an atmosphere or gravitational field like we have on the earth or the sun? Even if we bring along our own liquid oxygen I don't see how we can burn anything in the vacuum of space except inside of a closed container. Having an open nozzle would violate the integrity of our closed container.
Yes, you can burn stuff in vacuum without the benefit of an atmosphere or gravitational field. The stuff must only be combustible. And if you burn this combustible stuff in vacuum inside a container in vacuum and, if the container is open at one end, the gases due to the combustion will escape there and produce a FORCE ... that will affect the container. BASIC. KISS. :P
This is what I'm trying to get at. I'm not talking about nuclear explosions (which aren't even real) but a series of micro explosions in a combustible fuel. I was beginning to think the harder thing to explain about rocketry is how explosions in space work effectively.

Which formula works in a vacuum as it does in a full Earth atmosphere? What kinds of liquid combustions work? (I guess that's one reason to keep the formulas secret; if there isn't even the possibility of one working well, it could just remain 'above top secret' for 'safety reasons'. But perhaps I'm jumping the gun on the argument a bit.)
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Heiwa wrote:
Heiwa, you are an Engineer of sorts. Please recreate this phenomenon you describe and post your video on Youtube --- right alongside Jim Fetzer sticking his hand into a pot of molten steel quickly and pulling it out without being burned.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

my HYDROJET FUNICULAR

Heiwa,

I have fitted this funicular with a hydrojet (such as those propelling modern high-speed ferries) and a giant water tank. Knowing the power of this jet, the weight of the fully loaded funicular and the angle/degree of ascent, would it be possible to estimate how fast - if at all - this thing would be propelled uphill, by spraying water into the air?

Technical specs of the Kamewa high-speed ferry (cruising speed 30knots):
http://www.celebritycruisess.com/1997-1 ... 0-pax.html

The Schwebebahn funicular in Dresden (built in 1901)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrs51/4727175923/

Surely, this machine would obey to Newton's laws of motion - as the water ejected would push against the water in the tank - which is, if I am getting this right, the same principle by which NASA's rocket's function in near-vacuum? If not - what am I missing?
How do rockets work in the vacuum of space?
"The truth is that the rocket does have something to push against: namely, its own fuel."
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... m-of-space
lux

Unread post by lux »

brianv wrote:The reason rockets work on earth is because the ground pushes them up. The harder you push against the ground the harder it pushes back.
So, how do rockets fly horizontally then? Or downward?
Last edited by lux on Wed May 29, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lux

Unread post by lux »

Boethius wrote:... I don't see how we can burn anything in the vacuum of space except inside of a closed container.
So, the Sun and stars are inside closed containers?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

lux wrote:
Boethius wrote:... I don't see how we can burn anything in the vacuum of space except inside of a closed container.
Is the sun on fire?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

lux wrote:
brianv wrote:The reason rockets work on earth is because the ground pushes them up. The harder you push against the ground the harder is pushes back.
A: Lift from aerofoil wings!

B: They're falling plus some thrust from the atmosphere above!

It not widely understood that Earth's atmosphere is described as a Fluid! That is where your thrust also comes from! A rocket expels gases against fluid causing forward motion, much like a fish! They can swim up and down and even horizontally.

"An airfoil-shaped body moved through a fluid produces an aerodynamic force. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfoil
Last edited by brianv on Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lux

Unread post by lux »

brianv wrote:
lux wrote:
brianv wrote:The reason rockets work on earth is because the ground pushes them up. The harder you push against the ground the harder is pushes back.
A: Lift from aerofoil wings!

B: They're falling plus some thrust from the atmosphere above!
Rocket don't have wings or lift producing airfoils.

Downward moving rockets are falling? But you said rockets fly because the Earth pushes them. How does the Earth push them downward from above?
lux

Unread post by lux »

brianv wrote:
lux wrote:
Is the sun on fire?
Yes, haven't you noticed?
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

Yes, haven't you noticed?

I thought the Sun was a super compressed giant ball of gas whose molecules radiate heat and light from the extreme pressure. You are saying it's a giant camp-fire in space?

Why don't I get a suntan sitting in front of my log fire?
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

brianv wrote:I thought the Sun was a super compressed giant ball of gas whose molecules radiate heat and light from the extreme pressure. Why don't I get a suntan sitting in front of my log fire?
The Sun isn't fire. Fire isn't the spectrum of radiation coming from our Sun. Some evidence indicates the Sun is electric, and not a fusion reactor.

But this is off topic. Stick to rocketry please. We're not recreating Suns inside rockets.
lux

Unread post by lux »

brianv wrote:
It not widely understood that Earth's atmosphere is described as a Fluid! That is where your thrust also comes from! A rocket expels gases against fluid causing forward motion, much like a fish! They can swim up and down and even horizontally.
Rockets are swimming through the air like fish?

So, these are rockets then?

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJINiK9azc
brianv

Unread post by brianv »

I'm not going to look at some stupid fucking video as evidence of anything.
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Lux,

Any thoughts on my Hydrojet Funicular? Would it work? if not, why?