Google fakery

Anything on the news and elsewhere in the media with evidence of digital manipulation, bogus story-lines and propaganda
simonshack
Administrator

Google fakery

Unread post by simonshack »

Yesterday, my Brazilian penpal "JS" sent me this link to some dazzling imagery supposedly depicting various GOOGLE plants around the USA - and what a truly colorful world it appears to be!

"INSIDE THE MIND OF GOOGLE" http://standeyo.com/NEWS/12_Pics_of_Day ... day.c.html

My dazzled eyes stopped at this image, allegedly depicting the interiors of their plant in Mayes County, Oklahoma. As my initial awe at this psychedelic marvel of data-storage apparels subsided, I switched on my in-born, human data processors in my brain, routing the same to my eyesight. I then selected a given area of the image :

Now, it should be obvious to anyone that this is a case of image fakery, composed with digital CGI software similar to that which is used - for instance - to multiply sections of crowds attending politicians' speeches. However, since I now know by experience that many people have trouble coming to such (to me) obvious and logical conclusions, I'll list a number of observations which may hopefully 'drive home' my point :

The "two halves" (two adjacent sections/racks of apparels) feature :

- The exact same colored and black wiring
- The exact same relative size, bends, length and width and tips of all of the wiring
- The exact same reflections, perspectives, shadows and white & black specks and cuts

I'll stop here, as I really do abhor the feeling of spoon-feeding my fellow earthlings with what, in my mind, are obvious observations which even a 5-year-old should be able to point out.

Perhaps a good statistician, like our member "whatsgoingon", will be able to compute the odds/probabilities of this. Personally, I would say this constitutes an Ockham's razor proof that these GOOGLE images are computer-generated.

So why is GOOGLE faking the imagery of their plants ?

Well. That beats me. Sorry - I'm at a loss as to figuring this out. Can anyone spoon-feed me with the answer to this? Thanks! :P
Heiwa
Banned

Re: Google fakery

Unread post by Heiwa »

On real ships we have plenty real pumps for real water, fuel, etc. Normally one pump running and one stand bye to be safe. In order to isolate a pump for maintenance, cleaning and repairs, we use valves fitted in the pipes before/after pumps, etc. I feel sorry for Google forgetting the valves in above CGI. Also add save alls and means to get rid of liquids, when you open a pump for maintenance. Otherwise you will flood the floor with (dirty) liquids, etc. I feel sorry for the pixel engineer looking after this stupid pixel plant. :D
And why on earth is there a blind flange on the yellow pipe right? What is the purpose? :rolleyes:
Heiwa
Banned

Unread post by Heiwa »

This Google map application is great. It seem most US citizens are already locked up in camps shown above, i.e. in a little hut with a big garage in the middle of now where (e.g. Texas). No shops, one little school maybe in the vicinity. No place to go and vote. Etc. No place for sports. By clicking on the real Google map you will get a view of the hut/garage, etc. Quite fantastic. What a dump! :angry: :P :blink:
reichstag fireman

Unread post by reichstag fireman »

(click to visit the Kennedy Space Center)

GOOGLE PRESS OFFICE: “Now, thanks to this collaboration with NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, anyone can experience this awe-inspiring and historic place from wherever they may be, and virtually walk in the shoes of their astronaut heroes.”

What a bunch of silly arses!
fbenario

Unread post by fbenario »

Heiwa wrote:Image
This Google map application is great. It seem most US citizens are already locked up in camps shown above, i.e. in a little hut with a big garage in the middle of now where (e.g. Texas). No shops, one little school maybe in the vicinity. No place to go and vote. Etc. No place for sports. By clicking on the real Google map you will get a view of the hut/garage, etc. Quite fantastic. What a dump! :angry: :P :blink:
This is a good example of what in America is called a 'new subdivision', where the developer went in and bulldozed all the old, tall, great trees, ostensibly because he 'needed to keep his costs down to complete the project' to satisfy his banker - and also of course because it is much easier for him to build the exact same new house multiple times - and all without having to worry about trees forcing him to alter his plans. Those of us lucky enough to grow-up in, and who currently live in, an older neighborhood, with very tall trees live in a much less 'colorless, monochrome' environment.

I would suggest that such an environment, with trees, is also better for your soul's health.
Exorcist
Banned

Unread post by Exorcist »

simonshack wrote:*
Well. That beats me. Sorry - I'm at a loss as to figuring this out. Can anyone spoon-feed me with the answer to this? Thanks! :P
I've just looked inside my PC which I upgraded 6 months ago with a new mobo, an Intel i7, large disc drive, 8 Meg of super dooper fast memory and a new Asus graphics card. It looks remarkably similar to one of the fake Google servers. Anyway....thanks for the heads up. It must be a fake. I've now binned it and I'm posting this from my Acorn BBC mico as my Sinclair Spectrum needs a new psu.... :D
nonhocapito

Unread post by nonhocapito »

It is very likely that Google, like every other corporation, would want to represent itself in a much better light than their reality allows. It is of just a few months ago the news about the workers conditions in the Amazon's warehouses, were apparently temperatures are inhumane and workers are under constant threat because Amazon settles in areas where it is the sole source of jobs around. And we all know the horrific reports about the foxconn plants where Apple's ipads or iphones are produced.
Yet all these companies like to present themselves as innocuous and enlightened centers of progress, at least in the eyes of the rich minorities that invest in their brand.

It stand to reason that Google would spare every cent, especially at the expense of its workers, since today like never before it is at the expenses of the workers first that corporations make their money. I would not be surprised to read one day some report about tragic working/structural conditions inside Google datacenters. Until then, no doubt they will feed us CGI and bogus stories, like that legend of their "doing no evil".
icarusinbound

'Google reveals top-secret data centres'

Unread post by icarusinbound »

Please have a detailed look at the 22 pictures reported as released by Google, purporting to show inside the top secret datacentres they have around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/p ... ngine.html

(edited to remove the rainbow-piped insanity pic already posted by Heiwa)

This is very worrying...are these images genuinely intended to depict reality? I particularly like all the high-pressure steam-piping, systematically colour-coded for consistency within the nightmare. And the welder, with the DC Comics 'Joker' safety-visor...are they welding some search filters?

This is Monsters Inc meets Willy Wonka, Pixar-implausibility.

What the hell goes on with the intent behind this stuff?
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Re: 'Google reveals top-secret data centres'

Unread post by Flabbergasted »

icarusinbound wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/p ... ngine.html

[...] And the welder, with the DC Comics 'Joker' safety-visor...are they welding some search filters?

Well, it does say in the caption that the welder is in the "fabrication area". Reminds me of Mr. Bigweld, the master inventor from the animation film "Robots" who crafted the whole world of technological wonder in which all the citizens live.
Flabbergasted
Administrator

More oneiric Google imagery.
No, it´s not the shuttle assembly facility and it´s not a Google datacenter. It´s the Large Hadron Collider.

You may think Google's engineers are smart, but they're rather outclassed by the small town's worth of physicists, engineers, and mathematicians who populate CERN, Europe's amazing research facility that's home to the Large Hadron Collider. Now CERN has graciously opened its doors to Google's Street View. This means that you, too can take a walk around the rooms and structures where scientists are trying to unravel the secrets of everything.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3018548/wher ... ur-of-cern
Take the tour of one of modern science´s greatest tabernacles:
https://www.google.com/maps/views/streetview/cern?gl=us
RogerSmith

Unread post by RogerSmith »

I think everyone should do more research in this subject before jumping to conclusions. I'm not saying the images don't have the possibility of being faked, but you should get some understanding of how a data center works. Added to that, Google is said to have their own unique means of doing things.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... let-water/
http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/03 ... -the-dark/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/04/ ... le-server/

Long elaborate mazes of wire mess are very common for data centers of any kind. At most, the only reason I can imagine any photo manipulation of a server room is to hide any information that might give away in-house technical details they don't wish to share, or to make it more candy-land chroma like.
hoi.polloi

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Possibility of being faked?

Is it even plausible for the above images Simon has compared not to have been faked?

Lie in one, lie in all.
anonjedi2

Unread post by anonjedi2 »

The entire concept of Google Earth is suspect and there's plenty of fakery and stories to be found.

Examples:

How a Fake Island Landed on Google Earth - http://www.livescience.com/28822-sandy- ... vered.html

Consider the idea that Google added the fake island based on false information they had from other, older maps, doesn't this one idea disprove the claim that these are satellite renderings?

After Sandy Hook, I did a lot of Google and MSN maps related research. My conclusion is that the images cannot be trusted.

Here's a good one:

This is an alleged Space Research Facility? The "censorship" is one of many examples. The European Space Research Technology Center.

More photos here: http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/governm ... llery.html

Google Images have also been used to fake New York Occupy Wallstreet Crowds into images. Tim Parkinson discovered a good example of inserting fake crowds into Google images here: http://blog.timparkinson.net/2011/09/30 ... photoshop/
Flabbergasted
Administrator

Maybe I have missed the latest developments, but has Google Earth changed from aerial photography to playstation imagery? Or is it simply a way to allow users to rotate views?

Googleplex, Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Googl ... 66619367e0

[edit: unnecessary images removed]
Last edited by Flabbergasted on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Maybe I have missed the latest developments, but has Google Earth changed from aerial photography to playstation imagery?
This is the '3D buildings' effect. You can turn it on or off under 'Layers.'