Does Rocketry Work beyond Earth's atmosphere?

If NASA faked the moon landings, does the agency have any credibility at all? Was the Space Shuttle program also a hoax? Is the International Space Station another one? Do not dismiss these hypotheses offhand. Check out our wider NASA research and make up your own mind about it all.
starfish prime

Re: Does Rocketry Work beyond Earth's atmosphere?

Unread post by starfish prime »

Penelope » 31 Mar 2018, 11:40 wrote: I don't follow you. Do you mean how could under-expansion be remedied? And wouldn't it tend to be over-expanded?
When the rocket exhaust exit pressure is higher than ambient pressure, since the exhaust plume expands beyond the mouth of nozzle, the nozzle is considered "underexpanded."

Difference in flow behavior between (a) overexpansion, (b) ideal expansion, and (c) underexpansion
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/pr ... 0220.shtml

However, this would seem to be a tacit admission that the rocket's ability to generate thrust is dependent on ambient pressure.
Penelope wrote:The rocket approaches vacuum and we want to preserve (until vacuum only, I guess?) a certain speed, by maintaining force (mass of exhaust exiting x its velocity). But the rocket nozzle is under decreasing pressure from without, so that a larger mass of exhaust would exit due to the resultant higher pressure differential caused by unchanged pressure within the rocket's "exit chamber."

The exit chamber might be just the stroke of a piston plunger emptying the combustion chamber, forcing its content of exhaust towards the nozzle. I've no idea what the innards of the rocket really are and I doubt that NASA is motivated to tell us anything which might qualify as a military quasi-secret.

I probably don't understand your question, but as I've framed it there would be any number of places to modify the amount of exhaust exiting, and therefore maintain propulsion. I can enumerate a few if I'm on the right track with your question. I suspect I'm not; sorry to be dense.
To reiterate what Hoi Polloi said above:

It doesn't matter what nozzle technology is used. The exhaust exit pressure will always be higher than a theoretical vacuum, and the rocket will be extremely underexpanded. As the exhaust exits the nozzle, it will not be directed by an atmosphere into a condensed stream generating thrust in the opposite direction. Rather, the exhaust molecules/atoms will disperse in every direction, counteracting each other, and generating almost no thrust.
Penelope

Unread post by Penelope »

Patrix says on 3/27/18
It is easy to perform a controlled experiment (which have been done numerous times) that disproves rockets would work in an unrestricted vacuum such as space. All needed is to show that when a gas is allowed to expand freely, it performs no work. That alone disproves that rockets can create thrust in vacuum and the physical law is called free expansion. And no work, means no action and that in turn means no reaction and thus "no Newton"
Bongostaple on 3/29/18 says
The burning rocket fuel is not going to waste its energy pushing on the inside of the chamber when in fact it can escape into space without any resistance at all. The path of least resistance. And because of this, there will be no thrust generated.
As promised I will explain the errors in applying the Free Expansion of Gas experiment (one of the Joules-Thomson experiments) as a proof that rockets cannot fly in space. I take no position as to whether they can or can't. My point is that this particular argument is invalid-- largely because it piggybacks on the idea that rockets must push on ground or air. However there are other errors in its presentation and applicability.

Before hoping to apply the Free Expansion experiment you have to know a little about it, and why it characterizes the gas as "doing no work".

What work is & isn't: if I jump up & down for 3 days in my living room til I drop dead, I've committed no work; the heart within my chest does no work; the sheepdog who works sheep all day hasn't worked; if I walk 20 miles, move a pencil from one side of a table to another and walk 20 miles back, then my only work was moving the pencil. In physics work means that one moves something external to oneself.

The Free Expansion Experiment takes place within an insulated vacuum chamber. A gas under some degree of pressure is confined at one end. The confining partition is removed and the gas expands, supplying certain info to the scientist. Tell me, given that the gas was alone in the chamber did it have the possibility to do work? The scientist notes that the gas within the experiment has "done no work" in order to make clear that the gas was in free expansion-- i.e., that the data he collected pertains to a gas in free expansion. He is describing his experiment, not making universal statements about gases outside of his experiment.

Should you conclude from this experiment that whenever a gas encounters an insulated (temperature-constant) space that it cannot do work (move something else)?

Should you conclude from this experiment that whenever a gas encounters vacuum that it cannot do work? I note that there are many industrial processes that occur within vacuum, and some of them, especially within the food industry, involve the use of gases.

Two more errors about gases and vacuum occur when on May 25, 2013 Boethius says,
"Free Expansion states that when a pressurized gas is exposed to a vacuum the gas expanding into the vacuum without any work being done. The gas is not “pulled” or “sucked” into the vacuum nor is it “pushed” out of the high-pressure container. In other words no work is done, no heat or energy is lost.
"No work is done, no heat or energy is lost?" Irrelevant. We want to know mass x velocity of the gas just prior to exiting. That is the transactional force between the rocket & gas.

"The gas is not. . . pushed out of the high-pressure container." Vacuum is not a force. It certainly can't cancel the high velocity push at which high pressure gas travels into 0 pressure. You yourself have seen at lift-off that the high pressure gas exits violently at great speed into the lower pressure of our atmosphere.

You have probably seen movie depictions of the explosive decompression of passenger aircraft, when a hole in the cabin allows cabin-pressure air to escape into the thinner, lower-pressure atmosphere of 40,000 feet. The velocity is determined by the differential in pressure.

But Free Expansion & whether gases can perform work in vacuum is irrelevant to whether Rockets can travel in vacuum. The conditions met by the exhaust after separation from the rocket cannot affect the rocket's propulsion.

The propulsion force of rockets is the transactional force of the exhaust which is apportioned between the rocket & exhaust an instant before separation*. As I sit in my wheeled chair and push on the sandbag, the instant just before separation determines the force on the sandbag and the backward force on the chair. Doesn't matter what happens to the sandbag later. Wheeled chairs don't propel themselves by pushing on air with thrown sandbags. Rockets don't propel themselves by pushing on air or ground or vacuum with expelled exhaust.

*If you go through all the motions preparatory to separation (pushing on the sandbag or allowing the gas to gain traction in the nozzle, for example) and then stop without separation, no force will result.

Thank you for the mental exercise, gentlemen.
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

In New York Times many years ago you could read this in an editorial:
Still, to be filled with uneasy wonder and to express it will be safe enough, for after the rocket quits our air and really starts on its longer journey, its flight would be neither accelerated nor maintained by the explosion of the charges it then might have left. To claim that it would be is to deny a fundamental law of dynamics, and only Dr. EINSTEIN and his chosen dozen, so few and fit, are licensed to do that.

That Professor GODDARD, with his "chair" in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react-to say that would be absurd. Of course he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/p ... l-full.pdf

To me this is the last time something truly newsworthy slipped through the gatekeepers of our media.

To claim that a chemical reaction resulting in heat and gas could create motion in vacuum is to deny fundamental physics. Something that children probably learned in school, before they where turned into institutions of indoctrination. Hopefully this new dark age will come to an end when more learn as adults what they should have been taught in school.

As for your last "exercise" Penelope, what can I say. The proven law (I point out proven since there are unproven laws like Keplers planetary motions and Newton's gravity "laws") of free expansion says that when molecules are allowed to dissipate freely, i.e. free molecular flow, then no Newtonian action/reaction can occur. What more is there to add/discuss?
I'm sorry to say I find it hard to beleive you are intellectually honest Penelope. You use the same deceptive language as I've seen when rockets are officially "explained" and have now made numerous verbose posts with little actual content in my humble opinion.

This thread has been severely gunked up with speculation on water rockets and nonsense. I see the exact same thing happening on open forums. Make some good points in a Moon landing thread and it will immediately be filled up with pointless chit chat.

On another note I really liked the first title of this thread - "Does Rocketry work in vacuum?". Because this a NASA claim that can be falsified with proven physics and controlled experiments requiring reasonable resources. Does Rocketry work in space? Dunno. Don't know what's up there allthough my bet would be vacuum/aether.
Last edited by patrix on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongostaple

Unread post by bongostaple »

Penelope » April 2nd, 2018, 3:21 am wrote:
But Free Expansion & whether gases can perform work in vacuum is irrelevant to whether Rockets can travel in vacuum. The conditions met by the exhaust after separation from the rocket cannot affect the rocket's propulsion.

The propulsion force of rockets is the transactional force of the exhaust which is apportioned between the rocket & exhaust an instant before separation*. As I sit in my wheeled chair and push on the sandbag, the instant just before separation determines the force on the sandbag and the backward force on the chair. Doesn't matter what happens to the sandbag later. Wheeled chairs don't propel themselves by pushing on air with thrown sandbags. Rockets don't propel themselves by pushing on air or ground or vacuum with expelled exhaust.

*If you go through all the motions preparatory to separation (pushing on the sandbag or allowing the gas to gain traction in the nozzle, for example) and then stop without separation, no force will result.

Thank you for the mental exercise, gentlemen.
The sandbag/chair thing is not a valid description of what gases do - again you are illustrating your point about fluids using an example with solids. Can you perhaps use some kind of fluid-based metaphor, to describe what you envisage happening?
dblitz

Unread post by dblitz »

Starfish Prime, you said:
Rather, the exhaust molecules/atoms will disperse in every direction, counteracting each other, and generating almost no thrust.
This is not true. The best you will get is a half sphere of possible directions. So, I have saved 50% of our thrust from free expansion, where does it go?

Or, to put it another way, your idea would work if we had a rocket with a nozzle at both ends, then the freely expanding gases would counteract each other, as you said, and the rocket stays still. Now turn off one of the nozzles and what do you expect will occur?
bongostaple

Unread post by bongostaple »

dblitz » April 2nd, 2018, 11:07 am wrote:If I understood your question bongostaple; how about a wheeled chair and a high pressure hose?
Assuming it's water pumping down the hose, I guess so, but I'd prefer self-oxidising fuel that's on fire at the nozzle. Really the main bit about rockets working in the atmosphere (i.e. not in space) that I don't feel fits reality is that the NASA rocket thrust equations seem to ignore the density of whatever matter/air/etc is already sitting there when the burning fuel comes out of the nozzle. Are we expected to believe that a rocket on a launchpad and a rocket already in the air produce exactly the same thrust? That certainly appears to be the gist of the rocket thrust equations - I can't see why there wouldn't be a huge difference. But obviously if we extend that thinking from solid ground - air, and compare air - vacuum, then it starts looking rather unthrusty.
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

bongostaple » April 2nd, 2018, 3:55 pm wrote:
dblitz » April 2nd, 2018, 11:07 am wrote:If I understood your question bongostaple; how about a wheeled chair and a high pressure hose?
Assuming it's water pumping down the hose, I guess so, but I'd prefer self-oxidising fuel that's on fire at the nozzle. Really the main bit about rockets working in the atmosphere (i.e. not in space) that I don't feel fits reality is that the NASA rocket thrust equations seem to ignore the density of whatever matter/air/etc is already sitting there when the burning fuel comes out of the nozzle. Are we expected to believe that a rocket on a launchpad and a rocket already in the air produce exactly the same thrust? That certainly appears to be the gist of the rocket thrust equations - I can't see why there wouldn't be a huge difference. But obviously if we extend that thinking from solid ground - air, and compare air - vacuum, then it starts looking rather unthrusty.
Come on. This has been gone through before in the thread. I suggest you start reading.

Sitting on a wheel chair with a fire hose? Then you are constantly adding mass to the system. See any hoses that reach up to space attached to the "space" rockets?

And water has many hundred times the density of gas.

Why all these weird analogies when it's easy to conclude the non effect of gas expansion in vacuum? Release gas in a space where it can expand freely. No work. Case closed. Doesn't matter whatsoever how fast said expansion occurs.
Penelope

Star prime, you're missing the crux of my argument. You and hoi polloi say, "As the exhaust exits the nozzle, it will not be directed by an atmosphere into a condensed stream generating thrust in the opposite direction. Rather, the exhaust molecules/atoms will disperse in every direction, counteracting each other, and generating almost no thrust."

Don't be silly. Exhaust plume after exit isn't the source of thrust.

\According to Newton's 3d thrust is a product of the mass x velocity of the superheated gas & particles just before the instant of separation. By definition, mutual separation means the two each move away from the other & no longer affect each other.

As I throw the sandbag away from my wheeled chair the instant which determines the thrust of my chair is the one in which my palms & sandbag push against each other.
Penelope

Patrix said, "Why all these weird analogies when it's easy to conclude the non effect of gas expansion in vacuum?"

The superheated, compressed gas is NOT within a vacuum when it has its effect; it's still inside the nozzle and its effect-- propulsion of both rocket & gas-- is manifest upon exit.
Altair

Unread post by Altair »

There's one important difference between gas expansion and the 'pushing' of a liquid or solid body. Intermolecular forces between molecules of a gas follow a completely different set of laws, and you cannot apply Newton's Laws to them.
A very simple experiment (that seems nobody has carried on, at least I didn't found anything valid) would be to open the valve of a CO2 fire extinguisher in an appropriately sized vacuum chamber and measure the forces exerted.
It's strange that there seems not to be any scientific literature, nor tests regarding the working of rockets in vacuum, and this would be of paramount importance before sending things up there, as a very small deviation in calculated vs. real thrust would mean that the object would not achieve the desired orbit.
Penelope

bongostaple says
April 2nd, 2018, 6:55 am NASA rocket thrust equations seem to ignore the density of whatever matter/air/etc is already sitting there when the burning fuel comes out of the nozzle. Are we expected to believe that a rocket on a launchpad and a rocket already in the air produce exactly the same thrust? That certainly appears to be the gist of the rocket thrust equations - I can't see why there wouldn't be a huge difference. But obviously if we extend that thinking from solid ground - air, and compare air - vacuum, then it starts looking rather unthrusty.
The most basic equation is Force = mass x velocity. Velocity at the relevant instant is already net of all affective factors. Those factors occurring after separation of Newton's two paired entities, the rocket and its propulsive gases, are irrelevant to the propulsive force already determined.

The results of that propulsive force will of course differ in that atmosphere exerts drag on the rocket and vacuum doesn't. Inertia of rest vs inertia of motion also is a factor.
Penelope

by Altair on April 2nd, 2018, 9:51 pm

There's one important difference between gas expansion and the 'pushing' of a liquid or solid body. Intermolecular forces between molecules of a gas follow a completely different set of laws, and you cannot apply Newton's Laws to them.

Newton's laws apply to material bodies, whether solid, liquid or gas as these are the forms of matter.
A very simple experiment (that seems nobody has carried on, at least I didn't found anything valid) would be to open the valve of a CO2 fire extinguisher in an appropriately sized vacuum chamber and measure the forces exerted.

The differential pressure between the tank of CO2 and 0 pressure of vacuum would determine the speed of exit of the CO2. Other factors like size of opening; temperatures of both, which are a factor in the number of molecular collisions, which would slow down exit of the CO2.
It's strange that there seems not to be any scientific literature, nor tests regarding the working of rockets in vacuum, and this would be of paramount importance before sending things up there, as a very small deviation in calculated vs. real thrust would mean that the object would not achieve the desired orbit.
Vacuum is just lack of atmosphere. Of course they're tested. Google "testing rocket nozzles in vacuum" to get 451,000 results which cover more than nozzles. Obviously not everything is truthful, but it's the most readily available data we have. If you want something more technical exert yourself to find it,
patrix

Unread post by patrix »

Penelope » April 2nd, 2018, 9:48 pm wrote:Patrix said, "Why all these weird analogies when it's easy to conclude the non effect of gas expansion in vacuum?"

The superheated, compressed gas is NOT within a vacuum when it has its effect; it's still inside the nozzle and its effect-- propulsion of both rocket & gas-- is manifest upon exit.
So the NASA rockets move by pushing at themselves with "superheated" compressed gas from the inside then. Same old same old. Physics says no... ( https://youtu.be/AJQ3TM-p2QI )
Penelope

by patrix » April 2nd, 2018, 7:31 pm
So the NASA rockets move by pushing at themselves with "superheated" compressed gas from the inside then. Same old same old. Physics says no
If the movement of the gas inside the rocket causes it to exit, that movement will propel the rocket.
If the movement of the gas inside the rocket is prevented from causing exit, the rocket will not be propelled. (provided the gas has enough mass & velocity, of course)

Try it yourself. Sit in a wheeled chair on a smooth surface with a 40 lb dog on your lap. You, the dog & chair are all considered one object now, one mass (like the gas inside the rocket is included in the rocket's mass). The dog may make all the attempts he likes to jump free, but so long as you hold onto him, you are still considered as one mass. But if you open your arms so that he actually jumps free, your chair will be propelled backward. It doesn't matter whether he jumps into air or vacuum. Only his movements and velocity while he is still on the way to exit matter. When his paws are clear of you he can no longer affect the chair's movement.

If no dog, use sand in a garbage bag.

The idea that the rocket is propelled by its exhaust pushing on the air is a misunderstanding of Newton's 3d, which deals with paired objects and the forces they exert. Rocket and gases until separation are a pair involved in the transactional force which gives both a motion which separates them.

The gases after separation are exhaust. Within atmosphere the air resists the exhaust. The exhaust being initially more energetic pushes it aside, continuing to travel away from the rocket until equlibrium is reached. This going-away exhaust does not affect the rocket, even if it goes into vacuum.

Even though when he made those exact same movements while you prevented his leap your chair did not move.
Altair

Unread post by Altair »

Sorry for the retro-quote, but here is my take on it:
Altair » October 31st, 2017, 5:32 pm wrote:I think it has been mentioned in this thread or in some one related, but it seems that free expansion of gases cannot produce any work, in physical sense. There is a pretty good discussion here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/w ... um.725702/

So, the idea is that work is done by pressure. In an atmosphere, the gas ejected from the rockets would build a pressure gradient, from a maximum near the exhaust, and gradually decreasing until it levels off with atmospheric pressure. So, it's the pressure buildup what pushes the rocket upwards. A nice way to model this would be to imagine a compressed air cilinder and then opening the valve.

But in a vacuum, the gradient 'endpoint' would be 0, so the gas molecules would have no opposing force when moving away from the rocket.

In fact, it's strange that I've found no literature about such a simple experiment as would be opening the valve of a compressed air cilinder in a vacuum chamber and measuring the resulting forces. And then comparing it with the same experiment in the atmosphere. My guess is that the exerted force would be almost negligible, but maybe non-zero.
As for testing in vacuum, yes, there were some results. Maybe the most reasonable one at first glance (obviously, I didn't check all of them) is this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comment ... ve_a_large

But still this seems to me too much of a stretch: "So an engine designed to function optimally at sea level will have a diverging section that reduces the gas pressure to 1 atm at the exit; an engine that is optimal for vacuum will try to get a diverging section that will reduce the pressure to 0 atm as the exit (this is impossible, it would require an infinite nozzle, but we can get pretty close with a large enough shape). Since lower pressure at exit = larger nozzle, vacuum-optimized engines have larger nozzles than atmospheric engines."

To put it simply, we can give a hoot about the exit speed of the gas, because what "pushes" the rocket upwards is good old plain pressure against the rocket's structure. If you think that just accelerating the gas will produce such pressure against the nozzle walls, so let it be. But in fact, as the cited article states, accelerating a gas just means that you're trading pressure by speed.