Simon in the USA — Summer 2018

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest
hoi.polloi

Simon in the USA — Summer 2018

Unread post by hoi.polloi »

Everybody, I have a little fun announcement to make. Simon Shack, my dear friend and researcher — the last of which I hadn't seen since visiting his mother's memorial event in late 2016 — has come to visit me and travel the USA in the interest of "spreading the word"!

If anyone is interested in an opportunity to meet us in the States, please let us know by e-mailing us here: http://septemberclues.org/contact.shtml

Please note that we are already trying to make a number of events and meetings and we may regretfully not have time. But we'll be around through August doing some interesting things and we'd love to try to coordinate and plan specific trips to areas of the USA. Much love and respect to all well-intentioned people out there!

Also, if you'd like, let us know where you'll be and maybe we'll pass through that area! Also, if you can please understand the two of us are quite "strapped for cash" (and don't mind any minor "vetting" meeting online or in person we'd request to all sniff each other out) we would very much appreciate that. I am sure we will get along with most everyone but sometimes even well-intentioned people simply "clash" in personality and that's only natural. We are pretty easy going fellows (if you can forgive our individual passions for various creative pursuits, some of which you may know about from this very forum!)
B)

But really, we would also love the opportunity to take people out for a drink or meeting if they have particularly any astronomy connections.

Well, hopefully we'll meet a handful of members but if not ... take care! We'll do our damnedest to monitor the forum on the road too.
OpticalIllusion

Re: Simon in the USA — Summer 2018

Unread post by OpticalIllusion »

Wonderful, If you happen to be passing through Ohio or Michigan I would love to meet up. You both have uncovered so much, good to see you guys teaming up for the summer.
memoryhole

Unread post by memoryhole »

I would love to get the chance to meet both of you, were you planning on any side trips up to the Great White North? Toronto, to be more specific?
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Dear OpticaIllusion and memoryhole,

I'm not sure we (Hoi and I) will be able to make it to your Northeastern longi/latitudes this time around... hopefully though - and if all keeps going well - I should be crossing the pond again in the near future and - as ever - will always be happy to meet CF members in person.

Hoi and I are currently in Arizona and will return back to Minnesota in time for the ALCON Astronomy convention (July 11-14) where we will have a small exhibition stand showcasing the TYCHOS - basically just a table with a laptop & monitor running the 2D and 3D Tychosiums, a bunch of http://www.tychos.info leaflets (see below) and - if we can get them printed and shipped in time - a few physical books for sale.

The cool leaflet that Hoi just designed :
flier3_SMALL.jpg
flier3_SMALL.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 7347 times

Kham should be joining us from Seattle where she's currently getting the leaflets and a banner printed. The three of us should all have a ball during those four days - that's a given ! This will be the first ever "public appearance" of the TYCHOS and, needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it... In any case, I'm glad (+ more than a bit surprised) that we seem to have passed the first hurdle: to have been accepted, no questions asked, at a major astronomy convention.

Scroll down this ALCON website page and look out for the TYCHOS logo... :)
https://alcon2018.astroleague.org/list-of-vendors/

(Note: the ALCON Convention has a rather hefty $80 registration / attendance fee - but if that's not too big of a stretch for your summer budget we will be extremely happy to see any of our forum members / readers joining us there.)
PianoRacer
____

Unread post by PianoRacer »

I will be at the conference in Minneapolis in July, come hell, high water, $80 admission fees, trolls, shills, Phil Plait, "deniers", "truthers", etc. etc. or high water! (FYI the water is super high here right now!)

I sincerely cannot wait. I have so much respect and admiration for you both. What is motivating you, Simon, to explore the United States, yet to exhaust your precious life force in Los Angeles, baffles and intrigues me. I assume you have a good reason.

All the best,
PR
hoi.polloi

Looking forward to meeting you PR! We're delighted with your dedication to meet us! Wow!

Simon, I am not seeing that graphic you posted. Not sure if it's just too big for my computer or what. Here is a smaller version if that's affected anyone else.
flier3_SMALLEST.jpg
flier3_SMALLEST.jpg (219.57 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Los Angeles was just for fun. Now, Simon and I are presently visiting Arizona and everyone is gone for cooler weather or American Independence Day or just plain Summer vacations. But we're doing our best with promotion and having fun. If anyone in Arizona wants to meet up, please let us know!
memoryhole

Unread post by memoryhole »

Amazing!

Just as an FYI on the Alcon 2018 exhibitor page, all the exhibitor links work except for the Tychos. That link directs you to an email address. Not sure if that is what you wanted.

[EDIT: No, we did not want the e-mail address, we wanted http://www.tychos.info — thanks for letting us know and we modified your post to exclude that. -HP]
michiganj

Unread post by michiganj »

I would love to meet with you guys. If you'd like you could private message me when and where you will be available.

One more thing - Stay Hydrated!
hoi.polloi

Yes, no kidding! 114 degrees predicted for tomorrow (that's over 45 in your world, Simon!)

Still — we could certainly try to meet up with folks in the Phoenix metro area. Sent you an e-mail michiganj.
michiganj

I'm sorry Hoi but I do not see an email from you. Here is a junk gmail address that I sometimes use: [email protected]

Could you please resend your message to that address? Hopefully it will go through. Thanks.
michiganj

Dear Simon and Hoi, I am so thankful that I got the opportunity to meet with you both. It was a pleasure talking with like minds that share the same worldly views. Take care and best of luck promoting your Tychos model.

Hugs, mj
simonshack
Administrator

Unread post by simonshack »

Dear michiganj,
It was a true pleasure for both Hoi and I to meet you under the blazing Arizona sun - and yes, our world views did indeed seem to converge over a wide range of topics (something which I always find pleasantly encouraging whenever meeting with CF members in person). All the best to you - and thanks for wishing us luck with the Tychos :)

Hugs !
kickstones

Unread post by kickstones »

Hi Simon, regarding Arizona it might not be so blazing as of August because it could be NASA latest space launch due in August may deflect a few rays....

July 5, 2018
Cutting-Edge Heat Shield Installed on NASA’s Parker Solar Probe

A mission 60 years in the making, Parker Solar Probe will make a historic journey to the Sun’s corona, a region of the solar atmosphere. With the help of its revolutionary heat shield, now permanently attached to the spacecraft in preparation for its August 2018 launch, the spacecraft’s orbit will carry it to within 4 million miles of the Sun's fiercely hot surface, where it will collect unprecedented data about the inner workings of the corona.

The heat shield itself weighs only about 160 pounds — here on Earth, the foam core is 97 percent air. Because Parker Solar Probe travels so fast — 430,000 miles per hour at its closest approach to the Sun, fast enough to travel from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C., in about one second — the shield and spacecraft have to be light to achieve the needed orbit.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... olar-probe
:)
hoi.polloi

michiganj, thanks for meeting with us. It was a real (solar) blast and I am thankful you've patiently explained your user name. It's inspired me to seek out some of those old cartoons again. I will certainly try to take your advice and we'll just have to see how it goes. If you ever find yourself in the midwest please let me know. It would be a delight to visit with you again! Warm regards, hugs,

-hp
hoi.polloi

Hey! Any CluesForum member just happen to be here at (or under?) the Denver airport for the next hour or so? We're chilling in the A gates.
:D