SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

How to register at Cluesforum / General administrative topics / and things that every member must read

Re: SUGGESTION BOX (for Admin action)

Postby hoi.polloi on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 pm

I think phpBB only allows us to switch between 80 and 443; not use both?
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

I can't speak to phpBB specifically, but if it doesn't support listening on multiple ports using multiple protocols (i.e. non-SSL on 80, SSL on 443), it should still be possible to add a reverse proxy server like NGINX to achieve this.

https://www.nginx.com/resources/glossar ... xy-server/

This sounds complicated but the reality is that it's quite easy to set up, assuming that you have shell access to your web server.

A simpler solution would be to configure Apache directly to do this (I can see by the headers that the forum is being served by FreeBSD / Apache). It would look something like this in your ports.conf:

Listen 80
<IfModule ssl_module>
Listen 443
</IfModule>

Just a thought. It may not be worth the extra effort to implement, but I just wanted to point out that it is an option.
PianoRacer
_

Postby hoi.polloi on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Okay, right now SacredCowSlayer is waiting on transferring the domain so if CluesForum disappears momentarily, please do not be alarmed. We will do our best to get the new site up and going ASAP.

We appreciate your patience during this process. We cannot guarantee that data posted to CluesForum between now and then will be preserved in the database but we'll do our best. So please don't wreck the place while we are working. Thank you.
hoi.polloi
Administrator

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Postby fbenario on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:15 am

The forum's SSL changes over the last week seem to have broken its Mint page:
Mint was unable to connect to the database. Please make sure that the correct values have been added to /config/db.php.

MySQL Error: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known. (2002)

https://cluesforum.info/mint/

Can this be fixed, so we don't lose our statistical history of page views and number of readers?
fbenario

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:52 am

fbenario » October 12th, 2018, 7:15 pm wrote:The forum's SSL changes over the last week seem to have broken its Mint page:
Mint was unable to connect to the database. Please make sure that the correct values have been added to /config/db.php.

MySQL Error: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known. (2002)

Can this be fixed, so we don't lose our statistical history of page views and number of readers?

That’s an excellent question. I’ve wondered the same with regard to some of these statistics.

My best guess is that Hoi and PianoRacer are catching up from all the work done just to get the site back online.

We still have a number of things to address. But, one thing at a time my friend.

Sincerely,

SCS
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:40 pm

fbenario » October 12th, 2018, 7:15 pm wrote:The forum's SSL changes over the last week seem to have broken its Mint page:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, fbenario. That was something we didn't think to test.

I believe I've got it fixed now. Take a look and let me know.

Any other issues with Mint or any other aspects of site functionality - please post them here and I will do my best.

Thanks,
PR
PianoRacer
_

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 pm

PianoRacer » October 14th, 2018, 11:40 am wrote:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, fbenario. That was something we didn't think to test.

I believe I've got it fixed now. Take a look and let me know.

Any other issues with Mint or any other aspects of site functionality - please post them here and I will do my best.

Thanks,
PR

Thank you PR for your assistance on so many of these technical issues. I for one am incredibly grateful.

Sincerely,

SCS
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby fbenario on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 pm

The Mint page is functional again, but has no data for the period from last Wednesday until earlier today, Sunday.
fbenario

Postby Observer on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

SacredCowSlayer wrote:Request by SCS:

... I have begun the slow process of locating previously discussed health and nutrition posts ...

... (in the interest of getting them all in the same place), please let me know in the “Administrator Request” thread.

Agraposo's good post about small quantities viewtopic.php?p=2403369#p2403369
FBenario's good post about small quantities viewtopic.php?p=2403371#p2403371
And aa5's good post about small quantities viewtopic.php?p=2403372#p2403372

In addition to those 3 posts, the following 17 posts also probably should be moved to the Engineering Disease thread:
viewtopic.php?p=2403330#p2403330 (just the bottom two paragraphs)
viewtopic.php?p=2403332#p2403332
viewtopic.php?p=2403333#p2403333
viewtopic.php?p=2403334#p2403334
viewtopic.php?p=2403336#p2403336
viewtopic.php?p=2403337#p2403337
viewtopic.php?p=2403342#p2403342
viewtopic.php?p=2403353#p2403353
viewtopic.php?p=2403357#p2403357
viewtopic.php?p=2403359#p2403359
viewtopic.php?p=2403373#p2403373
viewtopic.php?p=2403377#p2403377
viewtopic.php?p=2403463#p2403463
viewtopic.php?p=2403464#p2403464
viewtopic.php?p=2403465#p2403465
viewtopic.php?p=2403466#p2403466
viewtopic.php?p=2403467#p2403467

:)
Observer

Postby nonhocapito on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 am

Just one note to the good person who was responsible to migrate the forum: first of all, thank you. and second, it's a very very minor thing, but you left behind the "favicon" file, now not visible anymore next to the cluseforum bookmark. :)
nonhocapito
Administrator

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm

nonhocapito » October 23rd, 2018, 3:51 am wrote:Just one note to the good person who was responsible to migrate the forum: first of all, thank you. and second, it's a very very minor thing, but you left behind the "favicon" file, now not visible anymore next to the cluseforum bookmark. :)

Thank you Nonhocapito for letting me know. I’ll send PianoRacer an email about it, just in case he doesn’t see this post. I’ll go ahead and move this to the Admin Suggestion topic- for neatness sake.

Thanks again,

SCS :)
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 pm

I think I have the favicon fixed now. Apologies for the delay, let me know here if anyone is still having problems.
PianoRacer
_

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Thank you so much dear PianoRacer. It appears to be fixed now. Thank you again Nonhocapito and Simon for pointing that out.

I honestly didn’t know for sure what that was until I texted a link to somebody, and I saw that weird “PMA” on the screen. Minor. . . but still worth fixing.

Thanks again,

SCS
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby PianoRacer on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:17 am

Hi all,

At this juncture, we find ourselves in the unfortunate situation where the only person with technical expertise who has access and is regularly available to administer the back end of this forum is none other than yours truly. I assure you, this is not a position that any of us should be comfortable with, as it is not wise to ensure the continued functioning of an important technology resource (as Clues Forum surely qualifies as) to a single individual, regardless how handsome or qualified he may be.

As a result, I am looking for another technology professional (established or aspiring) to assist me with some projects that have been long overdue for the forum (establishing automated off-site backups, upgrading the forum software, implementing "best-practice" security measures, etc.)

The main qualification would be at least some familiarity with the LAMP stack, or at the very least a serious desire to learn it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

If you think you are qualified and wish to assist in this capacity, please post here or send me a private email at pianoracer@gmail.com.

All the best,
PR
PianoRacer
_

Postby Observer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 am

To prevent future occurrences of this difficult current situation ("Gosh, I don't want to accuse a long-term CluesForum member of fibbing, especially Simon & Hoi's trusted Podcast & Tychos partner, but... 136 trust-building posts followed by this sudden "I witnessed someone randomly murdering multiple strangers" post) from now on can we PLEASE make a new (non-retroactive, new) rule:

From now on, all potential new members who have a personal story about a terror/shooting/stabbing/bombing/murder must state that personal story in their FIRST introductory letter.

And from now on, any member who breaks that rule (excepting Kham, of course, this is non-retroactive) should automatically have all their posts (the initial trust-building-posts together with their final terror-story-reveal post) deleted to effectively take away the motivation for that action.

A personal story about a terror/shooting/stabbing/bombing/murder includes categories such as:
- "I was injured by an attack"
- "I personally saw/heard an attack"
- "Somebody I trust told me they saw/heard an attack"
- "Somebody I trust told me they were injured in an attack"
- "Somebody I trust told me someone they know was injured/killed in an attack"
- "Somebody I trusted disappeared forever supposedly due to being killed in an attack"
- "Somebody I trust told me someone they know disappeared forever due to being killed in an attack"

I've written repeatedly that this rule is needed:

Observer » June 27th, 2018, 4:10 pm wrote:
It's rude for sudden posters to expect their opinions to be read, without first reading the vicsim evidence already posted here.
It's absurd for CluesForum to waste time on supposed thinkers who won't even state in their intro: nobody was killed on 9/11.
To prove one has studied SeptemberClues and CluesForum, new members should state in their intro: nobody was killed on 9/11.

Furthermore, to avoid the problem of initial agreeable posts followed by a "one victim was real" claim, folks should even state:

- "I have never met physically-in-person, any character who later supposedly became a 'victim of a terror event'. Unmet 'online-friends' invalid."
- "My family/friends, whom I've met physically-in-person, have never met physically-in-person any such 'victims'. Unmet 'online-friends' invalid."
- "I've never witnessed any 'terror injury' and neither have my family/friends whom I've met physically-in-person. Unmet 'online-friends' invalid."

This way, people (& A.I. programs) can no longer post agreeable posts now followed by time-wasting false 'victim' claims later.
Years of semi-agreeable posts sprinkled with years of time-wasting debate could've been prevented, by strong initial vigilance.
"Hi, maybe some were killed on 9/11, my sister met Todd Reuben, my niece attended school with his daughters." Boom, banned.

All members are ipso-facto asking CluesForum's millions of readers to become emotionally invested in their idea-seeding posts.
So before CluesForum's millions of readers consider even 1 post by a potential new member, the intro post should clearly state:
"I've watched Simon's 19 videos (3h54m) I've read 9/11 and other threads here & I have ZERO 'terror event victim' stories." :)

Observer » June 27th, 2018, 11:09 pm wrote:So anyway, to avoid all future "character-creating then eventual claim-making" time-wasting "be nice to me and my unbelievable claim (which goes against everything CluesForum has painstakingly proven over the years) give me the benefit of the doubt as being an honest non-shill because we have agreed on so many various points" emotional warfare from new or medium-term or even long-term members, hopefully a stronger claim-prevention rule can be considered and implemented, which basically says "Admit in your first post if you think anyone was actually killed on 9/11 (or if you think anyone was actually killed in ANY of the 'terror' hoaxes busted here at CluesForum) and if so, automatic banning, it's 2018 and nobody here is on the fence about such a topic.

Basically, "If you're ever going to claim 'maybe there were some 9/11 victims', or 'I know someone who says they knew a victim', or anything like that, you must make that claim right up front in your intro post, not later after many trust-gaining posts, you must state your unbelievable claim ... right at the start in your intro post (which will then of course result in an automatic banning, sorry but not sorry, CluesForum has played along enough over the years with 'possibly real, possibly honest, agreeing with many things but then eventually making surprise claims' characters over the years, no more such drama is needed.

Proposed Introductory Acknowledgement Statement:
"I've watched Simon's 19 videos (3h54m) I've read 9/11 and other threads here & I have ZERO 'terror event victim' stories." :)

Observer » September 29th, 2018, 2:36 am wrote:All intros should include: admitting all "9/11-victims" & "moon-walking" & "space-walking" were faked.
It's a waste of time to allow typists in who refuse to make clear their stance on those 3 facts upfront.
Belief in "9/11 victims" or "moon-walks" or "space-walks" means one has not read CluesForum threads.

It's also a waste of time to welcome typists who, after gaining trust, will later claim "I knew a victim."
All intros should include admitting those top-3 hoaxes, AND stating upfront "I know no terror victims."
We can't waste our time & energy, nicely debating typists who hold those beliefs or make such claims.

Observer wrote:How about first (& this should be a forum rule) before typing on various subjects, admit 9/11.
Admit the "official evidence of 3,000 9/11 victims" is forged images thus nobody died on 9/11.
The "terror & space" hoaxers hire many long-con typists, so these are vital filter requirements:
:) Please admit nobody died on 9/11, nobody has played on the moon, nobody has orbited Earth.
:) And please clearly admit upfront in your intro post that you have never met any terror victims.
:) Any "terror-victim / orbit-human" claims must be made in your intro, not months or years later.

Oh, and here's a related little letter I e-mailed to Simon in 2016:

E-mail Title: Hi Simon - a little reminder for those seeking "Trustable Truth-Tellers"
Date: 2016 September 2 at 00:02
--------------
Letter Start
--------------
The goal is NEVER to "Find a rare person whose sentences I can trust..."
"...so I can start relaxing & stop requiring logical proof of this guy's claims."

The goal is to FOREVER demand logical proof of each sentence: Zero trust!

Even if you were to find some human with MANY past logical proven sentences.
Tomorrow that person could start lying, start making mistakes, even be replaced.
People can become demented, or bribed, or threatened, or killed then substituted.

Finding a typist to trust is illogical, as is even finding a face-to-face friend to trust.
Meeting a person face-to-face doesn't mean tomorrow's sentence deserves trust.
Living with a human 100 years doesn't mean tomorrow's sentence deserves trust.

No sentence deserves trust. Trust is: "Not demanding logical proof about a claim."
Trust means lack of mental alertness: "Not demanding logical proof about a claim."

The solution is not "seek trust" but rather "NEVER trust any being or any sentence."
Never seek "trust". Demand logical proof of each sentence, each idea, each claim!
--------------
Letter End
--------------

And of course don't "trust" me just because I have written such vital "don't trust" sentences, haha.
I might be a long-con, I might start lying, I might start making mistakes, I might even be replaced. :P

[/clyp] PS - since we're discussing lack of trust, and actions speaking louder than words, I'm going to get this off my chest right now: I wish we would all man up and send Simon some contributions for hosting fees, so that Simon can host his 19 videos HERE at CluesForum.info/SeptemberClues.info, because the owner of that flat-earth site "Ab" was once caught forgetting to press his voice-changer button for a few seconds, which revealed his un-morphed voice, before he realized and turned his usual "Ab" voice-altering-software back on. Does anyone here have the link to Ab's un-explained highly-suspicious voice-change and Ab's casual "brushing the momentary voice change off like it was no big deal" reply? [st]

Edit: Oops, my mistake, it was NOT Ab who was caught using voice-altering-software, it was his "trusted" member Psyopticon/EvilEdna (who Simon rightly banned from CluesForum a long time before that.) So Ab wasn't caught doing voice-morphing, my apologies for having made an incorrect accusation. Still, Ab did lose "trust points" in my mind, for brushing off Psyopticon/EvilEdna's strange voice-morphing AND for not immediately banning Psyopticon/EvilEdna when the voice-morphing was caught.

PPS - I tried using the "strikeout" feature on my mistaken paragraph above, but it seems to be broken.
Last edited by Observer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Observer

PreviousNext

Return to HOW TO REGISTER at CLUESFORUM - and other tips