Einstein and other gods of science

Historical insights & thoughts about the world we live in - and the social conditioning exerted upon us by past and current propaganda.

Re: Einstein and other gods of science

Postby Mansur on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am

Kham » October 21st, 2018, 6:05 am wrote:...Cost $8,500 to attend the conference...
...There is so much more to say about the disasters of TEDtalks, brought to you since 1986, and how they hypnotize the learned community, could be a thread of its own.

If they are willing to pay for it we are willing to give free rein to our malice and say: it serves them jolly well right.

These “talks” are not about science, they are about “success” (power)! That is the honey string by which these people are led with. And again: it serves them right.

TED talks (now they appear with subtitles of at least a dozen of languages) seem to be much more a phenomenon than a reason or cause or effective power in itself. (Or at least it can be viewed as such.) Something like BBC documentaries or National Geographic or such like (whose number is legion). Maybe only the TEDs are on the top of the “food chain”… and so perhaps it really deserves “a thread of its own”.

„Learned community”: it’s a curious term having “meaning”, I think, only in dictionaries of our modern times. So it wouldn’t be without benefit to try to define it, -- of what kind of learning and of what kind of community it is.

After viewing a TEDtalk one might get the feeling that others are handling the needs of this world, so don’t worry, don’t try to bother your intellect by figuring anything out. Science is getting it all figured out for you.

Absolutely. (Since generally it is the job of the propaganda.)

But they speak to people having raised (learned) already to be the audience of these dream-worlds. There is in it something of the “chosen guys” thing... You should only believe in the teaching and salvation comes almost automatically… Maybe the talks serve to the “learned” as kind of confirmation or confession or even communion (provided they are still real talks now with real audience, -- some seem very fishy).

Kham, sorry, please, but the cause of real disasters i.e. of real human sufferings I see rather in those “learned communities”, since this kind of PR (the TEDs) would be wholly ineffective without them, -- and we needed to be a Christian very much indeed to see them as victims.
Mansur

Postby bongostaple on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 pm

aa5 » October 22nd, 2018, 8:08 am wrote:That 18 minute time frame does seem a limiting factor. Probably the owners of Tedtalks figured out the ideal time of presentations that their paying guests like.

This might sound fucking bonkers, but I think it might have something to do with entraining the minds of an audience. I've regularly meditated during the last 10 years, and have noticed that whilst meditating, my conscious thinking gradually reduces. But there is a point where the meditation goes even deeper, and not gradually either. No prizes for guessing that for me, that point occurs at 17-19 minutes. I have asked a wholly arbitrary selection of friends who also meditate, and they all noticed this occurring from about 16 minutes to 21 minutes.

I think I was right though, this does sound a bit mad, but it occurred to me right when I read the sentence there mentioning 18 minutes. Maybe that last few minutes of a talk allow the speaker to bury some concepts deeply into the audience's minds.

Yup, I must be mad, but thought I would post this anyway.
bongostaple

Postby Flabbergasted on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:49 pm

bongostaple » October 26th, 2018, 5:33 pm wrote:Yup, I must be mad, but thought I would post this anyway.

You did very well.
Flabbergasted

Postby Kham on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 am

Last 18 minutes, hmmm. That is fascinating. The TEDtalks room is very dark, the stage is also pretty dark except what is needed to illuminate around the speaker and included graphics. Not like a lecture, more like a play, as if one needs to buy into the illusion. Now that’s kind of creepy. Include those strange hand gestures and wide leg stances that TEDtalkers adopt and it is reminding me more and more of a magic show.
Kham

Postby bongostaple on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 pm

It does look a bit like covert NLP too - maybe something in it, maybe not. Also, I just remembered something very similar - I spent four years working for a large technology company and when the big boss came over we would be herded into an amphitheatre and given no shit, a 25 minute talk. Never more, never less either. And the hand signals were all in there. That's like being force-fed the Kool Aid, so to speak....
bongostaple

Postby aa5 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 am

In big corporations or big government operations you sort of need legions of people who are relatively smart but who do exactly as they are told and never think outside the box. The modern mega-corporations are pushing innovative research out of their companies and instead funding research through small startup companies that are outside their organization. And importantly the people at those small innovative companies don't interact with the corporate culture of the mothership.

Those types of people who are smart but not radical thinkers, nowadays have all sorts of fancy degrees, and they want to think they are edgy, outside the box thinking people.. while at the same time their psychology is they don't want to hear or see any ideas that are not 'inside the box'. For example how smart technically educated people react when you question the Moon missions. That is the personality type and its very common. Its like 'closed minded' people don't view themselves as closed minded. They think they are open minded and just have all the right answers.

On the other hand, to not just be negative on these people, the reality is you need these huge organizations with 10's of thousands of group thinking people, to actually do most things. For example, that radical thinker who invents something from out of left field, he is not going to be interested in the many decades struggle of building that technology all over the world, and then for many, many decades, maintaining and upgrading the technology.

The day to day operations of the corporation, like battling with local regulatory agencies and paperwork for years to build something, is the work of those non-radical thinkers. For marketing, how do you convince 'the masses' who are not smart and not at all open to new ideas that some new thing is beneficial for them. Well its a dreary plan, you just bombard them for years with the same messaging, loud annoying music and such over and over again until it becomes the new thing they believe and won't easily change their minds on.
aa5

Previous

Return to General World Affairs