Suggested Videos and Reading

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 pm

[Admin Note by SCS: I think the suggestion (below) by our member ThisIsUnreal is well worth opening a topic for here in the Living Room. Thank you for that. :) ]

thisisunreal » November 17th, 2018, 1:49 pm wrote:Dear Simon and Patrik, with reference to the video of Tony Martin giving some extremely interesting opinions, I don't find it in the least surprising that I have never heard of his name. He describes the all too familiar discredit that is common to anybody who has ever looked at historians who have strayed too far from the beaten track! You will not find those authors easily in the same way that Clues Forum is very well hidden for those earnestly looking for truth.

With that said.....I wonder if Clues Forum members would be interested in compiling a 'reading list' or a 'suggested authors' list in order to help orientate people quickly and help people find the most compelling authors?

simonshack » November 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm wrote:Dear Patrik,

You justly linked to a speech by Tony Martin, a very little-known academic whose opinions - in my honest opinion - deserve to be heard, worldwide.

According to Wikipedia, "Tony Martin died unexpectedly on January 17, 2013, aged 70".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(professor)

Please spend 1 hour (as I just did) listening to what Professor Tony Martin had to say - the wealth of details in his historical account of the particular "dynamics" behind the horrific slave trade (and more) is simply stunning - and something that we all need to be reminded of. Also, Tony Martin comes through as a totally honest person - and with a fantastically subtle and humorous talker talent :

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu0vQrZbhQo

Tony Martin's lucid speech is certainly relevant to this "Engineering Racism" thread - as viewed under a historical perspective.
Martin Luther King pales in comparison to this gentleman.

At 17:05 in this video, Tony Martin makes a quite priceless statement:

"I think that if one had to isolate a single tactic, it was a tactic of telling lies - they've elevated 'telling lies' to a very high, artistic form".

At 44:06 in this video, Tony Martin makes another priceless statement :

"Another tactic is, of course, their use of the major media. They become very agitated when one speaks of their control of the media - that's one of the most anti-semitic things that it is possible for anybody to say..."

You should not be surprised for never having heard of Tony Martin. -_-
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Re: Suggested Videos and Reading

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Our member “Smokey” sent me the following YouTube video a couple of days ago.

It’s just over 12 minutes long, and, “pound for pound,” it’s one of the more insightful videos I’ve come across that breaks down the difference between commonly used (and often misunderstood) terms such as Narcissist, Psychopath, and Sociopath.

She does an excellent job explaining the key difference between the latter two.

Aside from a passing reference to “serial killers” (not the subject of the video), it’s very good. I highly recommend it.

If you decide to watch it, please do not miss the last 3-4 minutes. She saves the best for last.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dv8zJiggBs
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby Altair on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:05 pm

I've recently read "Black Swan" and "Antifragile" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. This statistic/mathematician/philosopher has a really good take particularly on economic issues and how the academy/Nobel/big-banking stablishment manipulates society and particularly economy and politics. Too much contents to summarize here, but the guy has really a very deep insight.
Altair

Postby Mansur on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:32 am

SacredCowSlayer » November 23rd, 2018, 4:33 pm wrote:Aside from a passing reference to “serial killers” (not the subject of the video), it’s very good. I highly recommend it.

Yes, and we have a good chance to meet her in a TEDtalk.

A really interesting account of her activity:
http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/ramani-durvasula

- - - - - -

“Women are made to suffer,” – said a (female) character in the very short (about eight or ten normal page, so it’s shorter than the video) writing linked below.

So I recommend its reading; but before doing that I suggest some kind of strong box-ring or belt to apply to the belly.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23219/23 ... 3219-h.htm

[And a noteworthy description from an "analysis" of the story:
...Some readers interpret the process by which Putois gradually becomes a reality as a symbolic representation of how rumors spread in a community. Such readers see the story’s central theme as rumor-mongering, and Putois as a symbol for scandalous gossip or ugly rumor. Still other readers, noting that the story was first published while France was obsessed with the Alfred Dreyfus affair, have suggested that Putois symbolizes any forged or counterfeit reality, like the forged documents fabricated by the military to “prove” Dreyfus guilty, or the falsified history invented by the government to justify its claim that the spy in their midst had to be a Jewish officer of Alsatian origin. Such readers thus see “Putois” as a satirical parody of the Dreyfus affair, exposing it as a gross miscarriage of justice. However readers choose to characterize the central theme of “Putois,”—myth-making, rumor-mongering, or counterfeiting reality—they are clearly all seeing the same meaning in “Putois”: a humorous portrayal of the human need to find a scapegoat to explain away the experience of evil...

(Original highlights.)
http://wiseeunice.tistory.com/205 ]
Mansur

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Mansur » November 23rd, 2018, 9:32 pm wrote:
SacredCowSlayer » November 23rd, 2018, 4:33 pm wrote:Aside from a passing reference to “serial killers” (not the subject of the video), it’s very good. I highly recommend it.

Yes, and we have a good chance to meet her in a TEDtalk.

A really interesting account of her activity:

. . .

Certainly, as with nearly anyone, the video I posted is not any kind of endorsement by me (SCS) of the person(s) in the video.

That said, my view is that the content of that specific video has generally helpful and insightful information about sick minds at “work.”

I will also add, my experience in dealing with people (that are full blown sociopaths) is quite consistent with the behaviors and characteristics described in the video.

Readers (and members) in the future should consider my approval (above) of a given video or piece of literature to be qualified just the same.

I don’t lend my brain over to persuasion (let alone control) by any sort of guru. There are gems of information that often come from a variety of sources.

The key is to learn how to use discernment, and sort the information in a critical, yet constructive manner.

Regards,
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby Flabbergasted on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:24 pm

SacredCowSlayer wrote:There are gems of information that often come from a variety of sources.

Yes, fragments of truth can be found in the most unexpected places. I remember an amusing passage from a book by Richard Bach in which he belittles his guru´s teaching for being too plain-sounding:
Richard: “You are quoting Snoopy the Dog, I believe?”
Don: “I’ll quote the truth wherever I find it, thank you.”
Flabbergasted

Postby patrix on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm

A video on cognitive bias that popped up in my YouTube flow that was actually good

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwGBIr_RIw
patrix

Re: Sending TYCHOS to Astronomy Institutions

Postby patrix on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Tychos for sale in a book and jewellery store

Regnbågens Böcker & Smycken

Haga Nygata 11, 413 02 Göteborg
031-13 33 75

https://g.co/kgs/ZKz6XS
patrix

Postby SacredCowSlayer on Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm

That is fantastic dear Patrix! Even better than Astronomy Institutions in my opinion.

I hope you don’t mind that I moved your post here. Admittedly, the books adjacent to it sort of caught my attention as well, and I figured, hey, let’s put this in the “Suggested Reading. . .” Topic.

Disclaimer: I don’t know anything about those other books contained in the image. Just piqued my curiosity is all.

Feel free to move it back if you wanted it in that TYCHOS topic for some particular reason. :)

Sincerely
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Postby simonshack on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:50 pm

patrix » December 13th, 2018, 5:19 pm wrote:Tychos for sale in a book and jewellery store

Regnbågens Böcker & Smycken

Haga Nygata 11, 413 02 Göteborg
031-13 33 75
https://g.co/kgs/ZKz6XS

Wonderful, dear Patrik ! This is hoping that someone in that store will forsake jewellery for my book! :P

For those who don't live in Göteborg, here's where you can order my TYCHOS book online (remember, folks - its xmas time):

http://www.lulu.com/shop/simon-shack/th ... 42858.html

Alternatively, you can read the book (and view my graphics at highest resolution) by subscribing to https://www.tychos.info/

This is currently my best suggestion for xmas reading. :)
simonshack
Administrator

Postby patrix on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:03 pm

simonshack » December 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm wrote:This is currently my best suggestion for xmas reading. :)

Likewise Simon. :) A colleague going away on a Christmas vacation that I gave a copy told me he's bringing it with him. Hopefully we have another one who gets it when he comes back in January.

@SCS: It's an "Alternative" store. Crystals, yoga and stuff. But the nice lady in the store bought two copies on the spot and wanted my number to get more if they sold out. I was floored since I had gone by some regular book stores that gave various contrived reasons to not buy the book or let me have them on display for a 50% cut

And it's a bit ironic indeed that the title of the shelf where she filed Tychos is "Quantum physics etc". But what the heck, we got to start somewhere. :)
patrix

Return to THE LIVING ROOM