THE "CHATBOX"

A place to relax and socialize - to muse, think aloud and suggest

Re: THE "CHATBOX"

Unread postby ICfreely on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:15 am

fbenario wrote:And yet life expectancy continues to rise, continuing its unabated upward slope.

According to whom?

My ancestral hometown was famous for producing centenarians. My great-grandfather lived to 105, grandfather 93 and father 80.

Intelligent Machines

Bill Gates: How we’ll invent the future

The thinking behind this year’s list of 10 Breakthrough Technologies began with the plow.

by Bill Gates February 27, 2019

I was honored when MIT Technology Review invited me to be the first guest curator of its 10 Breakthrough Technologies. Narrowing down the list was difficult. I wanted to choose things that not only will create headlines in 2019 but captured this moment in technological history—which got me thinking about how innovation has evolved over time.

My mind went to—of all things—the plow. Plows are an excellent embodiment of the history of innovation. Humans have been using them since 4000 BCE, when Mesopotamian farmers aerated soil with sharpened sticks. We’ve been slowly tinkering with and improving them ever since, and today’s plows are technological marvels.

Put another way, the plow improves our quantity of life, and lab-grown meat improves our quality of life. For most of human history, we’ve put most of our innovative capacity into the former. And our efforts have paid off: worldwide life expectancy rose from 34 years in 1913 to 60 in 1973 and has reached 71 today.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612932/bill-gates-how-well-invent-the-future/

34?! :blink:

I can only speak on my personal experience of course. I have no way of knowing what worldwide life expectancy was in 1913 or how reliable such statistics could be (especially coming from a shyster like Bill "Global Warming" Gates). I guess "we'll" invent the future by distorting the past.

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”
― George Orwell, 1984
ICfreely

Unread postby aa5 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 am

fbenario » March 9th, 2019, 6:05 pm wrote:
And yet life expectancy continues to rise, continuing its unabated upward slope.

I am a transhumanist, so I think we can overcome the limitations of biology. Even if there is a degradation of our gene pool over time, as long as the technological advance is faster we progress.

The next areas to increase lifespan are more challenging, but the means at our disposal are also greater. Right now if literally all diseases and cancers were cured, it would add only 12 years to the life expectancy in the industrialized nations. From a current average life expectancy of something like 77 to rise to 89, when people would die of old age anyways.

So to get future serious gains in life expectancy we will have go beyond treating diseases and intervene in the aging process itself.
aa5

Unread postby kickstones on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Life expectancy changes boost profits at Legal & General

People dying faster than expected in the UK allows insurer to release pension reserves

Profits at British insurer Legal & General rose by more than a tenth last year as annuity sales soared and changes to life expectancy boosted its bottom line.

The rate of improvement in UK life expectancy has slowed dramatically, as people die earlier than expected, allowing insurers such as L&G to release some of the reserves they hold to pay future pensions.

On Wednesday, the company said it was able to release £433m of reserves last year, after releasing £332m the previous year. Its UK rival Phoenix benefited from a similar release in its annual results this week.

Chief executive Nigel Wilson hinted that there could be more to come in future years as the company continues to adjust its assumptions about how long customers might live.

“There’s been a long discussion about whether this is a blip or a trend, and sadly it’s looking like a trend,” he said.

https://www.ft.com/content/a62cf69a-3fe4-11e9-9bee-efab61506f44
kickstones

Unread postby kickstones on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm

There have been a few commentators on the internet suggesting the upcoming Royal birth (Meghan Markle) is fake, the following clip does little to dispel those rumors.....

lisajanefox

Közzététel: 2019. márc. 9.

Meghan Markle is supposed to be pregnant. This video is from March 8, 2019. Watch as Markle walks forward and the baby "bump" swings from side to side. No pregnant woman has a belly that swings like that. Something very odd going on here.

full link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vcBe9IjmU4
kickstones

Re: New Zealand Mosque Shooting, March 15, 2019

Unread postby Seneca on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Flabbergasted » 17 Mar 2019, 18:10 wrote:In case it has been missed, there was a somewhat similar shooting incident in a school in Suzano (São Paulo, Brazil) on the 13th, just two days before the NZ shooting. Two gunmen killed 5 students (reports said "6" the first couple of days) and 2 adults, before "suiciding each other". I read somewhere about another 17 wounded, which is surprising when you consider they had only one firearm (a revolver). The "lone wolves" were allegedly acting out a video game. It was also filmed (apparently not just by CCTV), but I haven´t had time to look into that.
MSM: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47568693

There was also one in Holland today, 3 days after NZ. Allegedly 3 killed and 5 wounded.
Seneca

Re: New Zealand Mosque Shooting, March 15, 2019

Unread postby SacredCowSlayer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:25 am

Seneca » March 18th, 2019, 4:13 pm wrote:
Flabbergasted » 17 Mar 2019, 18:10 wrote:In case it has been missed, there was a somewhat similar shooting incident in a school in Suzano (São Paulo, Brazil) on the 13th, just two days before the NZ shooting. Two gunmen killed 5 students (reports said "6" the first couple of days) and 2 adults, before "suiciding each other". I read somewhere about another 17 wounded, which is surprising when you consider they had only one firearm (a revolver). The "lone wolves" were allegedly acting out a video game. It was also filmed (apparently not just by CCTV), but I haven´t had time to look into that.
MSM: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47568693

There was also one in Holland today, 3 days after NZ. Allegedly 3 killed and 5 wounded.

Well . . . on the bright side, at least the (manufactured) hysteria over Measles has calmed down.
scs

scs@cluesforum.info
SacredCowSlayer
Administrator

Previous

Return to THE LIVING ROOM